good ph probe

druce

I'm thinking of getting a ph probe and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations?

I use the pinpoint from american marine I think is the manufacture. I have had great results, just dont drop the meter portion underwater They tend to quit working after that ;)

Search for "cole parmer" on ebay. try and snag a used one. Cole Parmer makes labratory grade equipment. You can pick up a brobe in the thirty to fifty dollar range. If you wait a while you may be able to pick up a probe and controller (to turn something on or off via a plug ) for under a hundred.

go to coleparmer.com and search 5652-00 and you'll see what I mean.

I use this Hanna Meter It works awesome, was cheaper than a pinpoint and Hanna has excellent customer service. Plus it measures temp and compensates for it, pinpoint doesnt do that.

wouldnt you agree its the "standard" just beacuse its been around the longest? Hanna produces Lab Quality instruments, If its good enough for a lab, its good enough for me. Not saying anything bad about pinpoint, just that it may not be the best available..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8135759#post8135759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MinibowMatt
I use this Hanna Meter It works awesome, was cheaper than a pinpoint and Hanna has excellent customer service. Plus it measures temp and compensates for it, pinpoint doesnt do that.

If your pH meter is calibrated at room temperature (or your calibration fluids are at your reef tank temperature), then I don't see the advantage (especially if it's a two point calibration). Since the temperature is the same, no compensation would be needed.

Spleen

I got the pinpoint, and I have to say I am overall impressed.

The nice thing is that the calibration fluid is cheap, but a word of advice. If you plan on getting the cal fluid, buy it the same time as you get the monitor (it comes with one set for initial cal)

I wanted to order more and found I was going to pay more in shipping than the actual product cost, so I had to shop for more items to justify the shipping....

Back