Gray water?

loosecannon

Hi fellow reefer`s: less than 1% of the planet`s water is drinkabull. And 4 out of 5 gal. is dumped down the dran. I think thats a wast. So what are some ways to use this water. not what you think, but what you do. P.S. no fibbing!:rolleyes:

Hippie smell: what I do is NOT use r.o. water!!! I take my tap water , put a shot of strasscoat in it, than I air stone it for 5 to 7 days. Now Ican use it with my lime water, or mixing up my salt water. when I mix up salt water I mix it up with a air stone and a power head four a nother week. no wast of water! So Hippie stank you are alway`s going of about the temp, what about the 000,000`s of gal. YOU dump down the drain?

Lol. How much water do I dump down the drain? It's good that you don't waste water though. Good job.

Hippiesmell: WHAT do you do with the wast water???????????????. WHAT about all you guy`s , who talk
about saveing this and pertecting that, WELL!

Do you have some envirmentel frendly way to use your gray water or shoud I just call you,HIPPI_CRIT! P.S. you wher my hero.

What is gray water? Is that what they call RO waste? I'm only giving you a hard time because you're so angry about this issue. I'm glad you don't waste water. If you collect RO waste, then you can use it for watering the plants, cleaning clothes, etc; anything you would normally use water for. Besides drinking I suppose.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10290288#post10290288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by loosecannon
Hippie smell: what I do is NOT use r.o. water!!! I take my tap water , put a shot of strasscoat in it, than I air stone it for 5 to 7 days. Now Ican use it with my lime water, or mixing up my salt water. when I mix up salt water I mix it up with a air stone and a power head four a nother week. no wast of water! So Hippie stank you are alway`s going of about the temp, what about the 000,000`s of gal. YOU dump down the drain?

There are plenty of things I do to conserve water. First, I don't use RO water either, I do something similar to your method but I actually run a small filter with phosphate remover in my makeup water because my local supply is high in phosphates. I am planning on getting an RO unit at some point and I will plumb it so the "waste" line empties into the washing machine, which other people do as well.

My house has a rainwater collection barrel that collects rain from the downspout and is connected to a drip irrigation line that waters the garden. This is a simple and cheap setup that many people use to conserve drinking water for gardening purposes. I haven't watered my garden yet this year. I dump the old water from my freshwater tank in there as well. Unfortunately I haven't found a good use for waste saltwater yet although I tried dumping a bucket of it on my frozen sidewalk last winter to de-ice it. It worked pretty well but I don't have the room to store all the waster water I generate in a year.

Loosecannon, no need to be a loose cannon over these matters, just keep posting your good ideas and others will follow.

Thank you for your ideas Lotekfish. I think I put Hippie smell on a higher plain than the rest of you. P.S. Hippie smell your still my HERO!

Instead of an RO/DI unit, I use a Kold Ster-il filtration unit. It does not produce waste water as an RO unit does but it is not suitable for all locales. It does not filter many minerals, such as calcium or silica. To control diatom blooms, I try to control other nutrients, such as phosphates.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10292885#post10292885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HippieSmell
What is gray water? Is that what they call RO waste?

Grey water is essentially water that's been used already, but isn't dirty water. Toilet flushes are dirty water.
Many people, if they have their houses designed to do it, will collect the water that is drained from the clothes washer, dishwasher, sink, tub/shower, etc and use this to water their landscaping and things like that. The water is not completely clean, but, if you use environmentally friendly soaps and such, it's clean enough for those purposes.

We don't have a greywater collection system in our current house. We do use the waste-water from the RO to water the plants in our yard.

People who are better plumbers than I and have the RO in the right room will use the waste water to wash their clothes.

I haven't figured out a good way to save the water I've removed from the tank. I decided that saltwater and algae into our garden probable wouldn't work very well.

Dave

As I recall some of EU countries have moved towards a dual plumbing system in new housing .. gray water vs black water .. not unlike our RV's. I think it has some merit and would like to see someone crunch the numbers and see how much cost/benefit we may get .. my water bill gets outragious primarily because of "sewer charges" and if I could put that gray water into my lower 40 and get some lower sewer charges I would be willing to pay some bucks.

you can use your waste saltwater to flush your tolet with, just fill the top holding tank with your waste water and flush :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10474199#post10474199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregg@AMS
i pee in my plants so i don't have to use the toilet. i also lick dew off leaves.
Me too!
I also use only grain alcohol and rainwater, Mandrake.

Back