Greatly reduced flow

Charleslee

I just changed the membrane for the first time on my Aqua FX Barracuda R/O & the water flow coming out of the unit has been greatly reduced to the point where I ran it all day yesterday & it only produced around 15 gallons. I doubt it even puts out a 1/3 of what it previously did. The PSI is 50. I don't know what the TDS is, I don't have a meter but plan on acquiring one. There hasn't been any change in water pressure coming into the system so the problem must lie w/in the r/o itself. I tried disconnecting the tube after it comes off the product water to allow it to drain for a couple minutes to remove the preservative (sodium metabisulfite) that comes on a new membrane as advised in an Aqua FX video but water wouldn't come out. The other method was to remove the DI filter but I chose not to do that. Any ideas, ladies & gentlemen?

Try removing the membrane and re-seating it. Also check the o-rings while it's out. Make sure when you put it back in, it fully seats.

Tried that yesterday, sir, unfortunately no difference. Also FWIW, replaced the little o-rings w/ the "œnew & improved" ones supplied by Aqua
& made sure they weren't twisted as per the instructions.

Get a couple 5 gal buckets. Waste line to one, pure water to the other. You should get about one gal of pure to four gal of waste.

I got home from work yesterday & when I restarted the RO the pressure must have built up because it shot out & at first the stream was strong, at it's old level & I was ecstatic but that was short lived since it went back right away.

I got home from work yesterday & when I restarted the RO the pressure must have built up because it shot out & at first the stream was strong, at it's old level & I was ecstatic but that was short lived since it went back right away.

Are you getting water out of the waste line like normal or is it reduced also? If it is coming out fast then I'm thinking the flow restrictor is not seated properly or is broken somehow.

Are you getting water out of the waste line like normal or is it reduced also? If it is coming out fast then I'm thinking the flow restrictor is not seated properly or is broken somehow.

I believe I found the problem-a clogged membrane. I had the waste water line closed. Membrane, since new, is soaking overnight to remove calcium particles & what not. Worse comes to worse I w/ have to purchase another membrane. Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Back