Green Long Hair Algae PROBLEM.

strobel113

I have a new problem that i cant get under control. I have been battling Green Algae and nothing seems to help it out.

Anyone have any information on how they kill/eliminate green long hair algae?

After testing this weekend, Phos was .25 -.50, slightly high salinity, everything else was perfect. i did a 15 gallon water change and flipped rocks, set lights to less time on.

Thanks for any information.

What are your nitrates at? When was your last water change and how much did you change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

How old is your tank? What have you tried so far? What type of rocks did you go with? Some dry rock can be prone to hair algae as the algae is pulling PO4 from the rock.

As a short term fix, I used a sea hare to mow down algae. It would regrow, but the sea hare would keep it in check.

Manually remove as much as you can with a toothbrush at the end of a 1/2" siphon hose. Run the siphon into a filter sock in your sump. Follow that with a 3 day black out. Cut back on feeding.

Weekly water changes find out what is the cause (over feeding) and get a sea hare it will eat the algae

In addition to all of the advise give. If you have a sump. You should add a algae turf scrubber. It will take some time for the algae to get established in the ATS. Over time you should see little to no hair algae in your display tank.

Did you use dry rock? This is a common theme with dry rock tanks and just takes time and control methods to get past the uglies. After the rock matures, leaches out all dead organics and basically becomes live rock algae issues will go away. A long cook and cure of the rock before adding to the tank, seeding with live rock and a long no lights cycle of the tank makes a huge difference it the early performance of dry rock. I am cooking and curing 10 lbs of dried live rock and po4 started at 10ppm after 6 weeks and a few water changes its at .5 ppm.

Hair algae loves nitrates so reducing those should help. Also, I have found that a few species of hermit crab will eat hair algae. But really nutrient reduction is the way to go. The problem people often run into is that they test their nitrate and it reads zero so they think that's not the problem. However, it reads zero because the algae is consuming it all. So really the presence of the algae is all the test you need to know.

Back