green, red, and cyan leds

Timmo760

Water dist. Tech
sorry if this has been answered numerous times already but i have been searching for the answers but cant find what i'm looking for.

i am wanting to know what the green LED is used for and what the difference between a red LED and cyan LED are.

i am getting ready to build my second LED light, 2 little pendants with 4 maybe 5 LEDs on them. they are going to go over a 20g long. i already have 4 blue LEDs, 2 for each pendant. i am wanting each to have a warm white and maybe a red or cyan, which ever would serve the purpose better. i am wanting a 15k - 18K look with a little warmer look. i was hoping to red would make red and orange colors pop instead of wash out from just blue color.

IMHO Forget the red sub violet, the warm white will also have a slight tint of red, Cyan is a blue green so forget about the green as well.

are you saying to ad a violet? is a violet a UV? just wanting to make sure im understanding you

I could be wrong, but to my understanding there are no true UV led's made, the closest is 410 to 420 range true UV is 400 range, The violet has some red and so does the warm white. 1 ww 1 royal blue 1 cyan 1 violet That is what I would use for a 4 led pendant.

If you want you're colors to pop it's better to have a full spectrum: violet, blue, red, green, white. With blue range of the spectrum you can choose violet (UV), royal blue, blue, cyan and green. The violet will give the florecsent pop that you tend to see. As Mark said there is no true UV except in UV steralizers. As it can be damaging to our eyes if directly looked at and therfore do not tend to fabricate that low. With the other side of the spectrum you have the whites (yellow) and red. 3 types of white: cool white, neutral white and warm white. I always recomend stick with the cool and neutral white and leave out the warm, but stick a red in. This is just my opinion from my experience and i am not an expert. The warm white and red is good for growing plants and algae bear that in mind. I originally had blue, royal blue, cool white and neutral white and had good growth but since changed to violet, blue, cyan, green, neutral white and red and had even better growth than before.
radion-pro-spectrum-uv.png

This is an example of a color spectrum from a blog to show you a little of what to look for. Again this is only my opinion and could be wrong in a number of things.

Back