Green Tanks

thompsonswim1

To me this hobby is full of different unfriendly actions that destroy the ECO system. My dream is to create a 500 gallon tank that does very little to destroy the ECO system. so if you have an idea or even a PIC of one let me know.

PLZ DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HOW GLOBAL WARMING IS A MYTH OR THAT THIS IS A FAD OR ANY THING LIKE THAT!!! KEEP IT TO YOUR SELF

thanks,
thompsonswim1

I'm confused as to why you call it an ECO system instead of ecosystem, but if you are looking for better ways to save energy while running a large system it is going to be very difficult. To start, your lighting is going to be one of the biggest impacts. You can try and run a large system on T5's (or another type other than MH) but you would need a huge T5 set up, 12+ bulbs probably. You could look into the new LED sets but they are expensive and untested as far as I'm concerned. Probably what you are concerned with is livestock. You can get your livestock from ORA, aquacultured or tank raised and that limits the impacts on the wild populations greatly. There are several small things that can help limit the impacts of your system, but in the end there is not much you can do.

yah For that tank I want to do LEDs. this was my plan from the beginning. the cool thing about them is that they also last longer and because you have like 10,000(not a real number just a guess) bulbs instead of like 6 you can slowly bring the light level up to full instead of the 2 or 3 stages that most people have. also you can do cool things with the lights so that it looks like there is a storm or things like that.

You can use solar tunnels for lighting, and then use a controller to supplement light when needed. You can also go exclusively with low light corals.

For power efficiency in the water circulation, use minimal flow through the sump and use high efficiency power heads in the tank to get the required current (Hydor Koralia power heads are the most efficient I know of).

I am also sold on the concept of algae turf scrubbers to replace skimmers. Reefs have very clean water (low in nutrients) and are very high in food. Reef aquariums are high in nutrients and very low in food because of skimmers. Skimmers remove the food - coral mucus, detritus, copepods and other zooplankton, but leave the nitrogen compounds and phosphorous/phosphates. Algae turf scrubbers remove the nitrogen compounds and phosporous compounds and let the food pass through. They actually help in producing food because copepods will begin to thrive in the algae. By removing the skimmer and adding an algae turf scrubber, you will bring the water conditions much closer to that found on the reefs.

When I was thinking about my equipment list for my new tank that I'm setting up, efficiency was very important. I ended up with a RD return pump that is going to run a manifold. By doing this I've eliminated excess pumps, extra heat that might necessitate a chiller, and of course electricity. I'm was going to go with a BK skimmer but ended up using the the RE cone which also utilized the RD pump. My tank itself was custom made and I decided on a shallower tank partly because of decreased lighting requirements. I'm planning on a mixed reef using 2 250w MH's, 2-80w T5's, and 2-24w T5's. I basically chose everything I could that would help lower heat and electrical draw. I haven't set it up yet but i hope to avoid having to go with a chiller.
I didn't go with LED lighting because of a few reasons. It is still unproven in my opinion, not too many people are using them with SPS. The reliability, I've seen way too many problems with them to justify spending $8000 on lighting. That leads me to the main point, price. They are too expensive, it would take years before breaking even and that doesn't even take into consideration any repairs or replacements that would be needed.

that is a good point. but for me it is more than just how green it is it also is something new that no one has really tested. so as soon as i get the funds and the time i will be adding the LEDs to my dream tank

solar panels and 1 pump for chiller if u have to going into a tank to create a surge water movement. the also have solar fans from hd if u dont want to go with a chiller n have fans for cooling. u can also do fish only so u dont reed thatuch light n maybe get away with indoor lights?

Back