Guy Harvey Lionfish Safari Sept 7-10, 2017

Mrs Postal

Just posted this over on FB. If you are interested in helping to rid the Gulf of our newest invasive species, this event if for you. Also, Lionfish really taste great baked in garlic and butter or blackened so you can spear your dinner at the time!

The event is sponsored by Reef Monitoring Inc. We have had this group as an education topic for the TBRC. Interesting work and this is event is the closest FWC Lionfish derby for the Tampa Bay Area.

http://www.reefmonitoring.org/lionfish-safari.html

More info will be posted as it becomes available.

How does this event work? I'm an experienced diver but I've never shot a speargun. Is is from shore or do you need a boat?

Sounds like an exciting time for sure!

These events are usually geared towards established spearfishers who go out to their local spots (around here usually 50 ft depth range and more) and clean up the Lionfish and meet up at the location at the end of the day to compare their catch. Not a fish I'd recommend learning on if you have never speared before. Many people going just for lions have a special setup with a 3 tipped spear and large PVC tube type holding tube/container. When I am out spearing I have a set of surgical shears that I cut the spines off with and use my regular stringer. They are very good eating.

Google "lionfish zookeeper" and then find a short pole spear with trident style tip. Its very easy just don't get stuck! With a decent size pole spear you are never very close to the fish, unless you try to clip the fins with trauma shears which I am not into. Some guys on my boat use the shears though. They are more abundant the deeper you go. 90'-120' is what I have found to be the most effective depth.

This doesn't sound like the place to learn but I'd like to try it someday. Would give me a reason to dive more often

Back