Had a small flood, need help

REEF-DADDY

Hi,
I awoke this morning to find my tank with no power and my carpet wet. 2 snails crawled into the overflow and decreased the flow rate enough to make the tank overflow. This caused my circuit breaker to trip. My DC4 was filled with water although the ACJr was dry. I used compressed air to dry the DC4. My questions are:

MY PH now reads 2.55. I don't think the probe was dry, although I cannot be sure. Any ideas?

What do I do with the DC4, can it be saved? :confused:

Steve,

I do not have the AC equipment but have experienced dropping electtrical equipment in water (salt). Do not run any electricity through it. let it dry completely (may take several days). cross your fingers and try it.

BTW, let me say on a personal note I feel for you. I know how anxious and bad you feel right now. Just remember, this too shall pass.

johnmaag said:
Steve,

I do not have the AC equipment but have experienced dropping electtrical equipment in water (salt). Do not run any electricity through it. let it dry completely (may take several days). cross your fingers and try it.

BTW, let me say on a personal note I feel for you. I know how anxious and bad you feel right now. Just remember, this too shall pass.

Thank you, to make matters worse my sump emptied and my auto top off filled it with with fresh water. So my temp fell from 80 to 75, my salinity fell from 1.026 to 1.023 and PH crashed from 8.3 to 7.5. :( I guess I learned my lesson..................

Most of the people I talk to use a supply tank rather than RODI to prevent too much water from being added.

If it makes you feel better, fish are amazingly tolerant. A lot more than we are led to believe based on the procedures for addign a new fish.

Are you still cleaning up the mess or on the way to restoring normality?

I walked away from it for most of the day. It may not of been as bad as it seems. The only confirmed casualty is the DC4. The carpet is also pretty hammered. The good news is most of the live stock looks good.

I just need to figure out if the DC4 can be saved.

To try and salvage the DC4 the following should be done ASAP (of course the warranty is void by performing these steps). Perform the following at your own risk

- Remove all power.
- remove the circuit board from enclosure.
- rinse as much salt residue off as possible using RO/DI water.
- Dry the PC board with a blow dryer.
- wait 24 hours
- assemble box
- carefully monitor the box as some components may be broken and cause the circuit to overload.

I'd only recommend taking these drastic steps since the board was imersed in salt water. If power was applied for any length of time while in salt water, it is likely corredoded beyond repair.

It sounds like water has gotten into the AquaJr as well. I doubt that the pH probe would read 2.5 if just left out of water for a few hours.

Curt

Curt,
The Jr. was high and dry, the PH just took a while to start reading again. It was not totally submersed but the power was on for some time while wet. I think its toast. :( It looks dry but there is not power coming from it. I am going to give it a few days to dry and have another one overnighted.

Once again thanks for your help.

Back