Hair Algae Transplant

scbauer

The Buff Reefer
Premium Member
Hey everyone... Here is the situation: Started with a 20L, moved to a 36-Bowfront, then had to downgrade to an Eclipse 12 when I moved (wanted to bring my pair of clowns and some rock with me and that was a good fit for the front seat of the car).

It has now been about 6 months since the move, and I would like to get a bigger tank going again. I think it would be too expensive for me to get my 36-Bowfront going right now because I would need a lot more rock, light, and livestock. Luckily, I purchased a 2x65W PC setup from JBJ Lighting about a year ago for my 36-bow (which is 30" long), and that just happens to be the same length as my 20L.

So, I'm setting up my 20L. Decision made. I bought a SCWD, plummed everything in PVC, and we're up-and-running. I also purchased an RO/DI unit, so I have good clean fresh water.

The problem I am facing is... I think about a month or two ago, I put some tap water into my Eclipse to top it off, and at the same time, I did a little DIY lighting upgrade on the Eclipse from the stock 13W to a spare 36W that I had lying around. I also added a small powerhead into the tank to increase the waterflow. One of these three factors (and possibly all three) have lead to a big bloom of green hair algae (I think that's what it is - It's basically the same as what is growing on this guys snail: Snail-Fro).

My question is - Since I have had these two pieces of rock for a few years now, and they have great purple-red coraline growing on them (along with other various creatures), would it be wise to put them into the new setup, or should I go ahead and try to get rid of the algae by saying good-bye to the rock? I would really like to keep the rock. Also, I was thinking of seeding the new tanks sand with the existing sand (approximately 5-10 lbs.) that is already full of life (ie. "Live Sand"). I'm thinking this will simply transplant my algae problem to my new tank. Maybe I'm going to get the algae anyhow, and will just need to buy something that will eat this hair algae.

Now I feel like I've typed too much, so I'm going to let you guys discuss this. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Scott,

I would manually remove as much of the hair algae as you could and keep the rock. If you don't want hair algae to grow it is important that you keep your phosphates near zero and your nitrates reasonably low. I think adding tap water was most likely the cause of the algae bloom.

HTH,
Kevin

Back