Red tufty algae - Asparagopsis - any expert advice for removal?

rallibon

Hi all
I'm looking for some practical experience-driven advice on a red algae issue I have had now for several years. After extensive research I believe it is Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte state (used to be called Falkenbergia hillebrandii.). This is NOT what is often called "pink cotton candy" algae (callithamnion) that can generally be taken care of by a few Mexican turbo snails.

I first posted about this on reef2reef forum in 2021 and much of the situation remains the same 2 years later. I am continuing trying Kent Tech M to weaken the algae tufts and hope my newly added Foxface (siganus vulpinus) will nibble at it. Over the years I have several tried true Mexican turbo snails (which usually due fairly quickly and make a negligible impact). I have even completely stripped my frag system 6 months ago and cleaned it with bleach and then H2O2, but the algae still soon returned on various frag plugs and colonies, probably spread from the sump. The algae happily co-exists with the caulerpa taxifolia in my refugium. So, if anyone has any direct experience of something similar I would greatly appreciate your help. To confirm this is NOT a parameters issue - my PO4 and nitrates are fine, the system is now many years old and stable. I believe this is just a very persistent algae which, because it is red, is less appealing to most herbivores available in the hobby. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is the Algae ID thread

Asparagopsis taxiformis - Reef Central Online Community
ormis - Reef Central Online Community
Asparagopsis taxiformis Marine Plants & Macroalgae
www.reefcentral.com

Here is the thread and what I posted some years ago which still applies.

Battle with red hair algae
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. I am from South Africa and have been reefing for the better part of 5 years. I’ve run into some issues and would like some advice. I have some red hair algae that I have been battling. I assume it was a bit of negligence on my side and throwing in some high tds...
www.reef2reef.com

For context I am in the UK and have a 2,000 litre system consisting of large established display and interconnected frag tank, sump and refugium. I started seeing tufts of this fluffy reg algae about 6 years ago in my frag take and DT and have been intermittently battling it ever since. It is definitely not cotton candy algae (callithamnion) nor is it classic red turf algae. It is relatively slow growing, very filamentous and a deep red (not pink). It is not brutally invasive but is is very persistent and will "anchor" itself in rock crevices etc, and it appears broken-off filaments will re-establish elsewhere. I have no option to remove rocks completely or drop my water level significantly to spot treat in open air so over the years I have researched and tried various things on terms of treatments and biological control. I have had some moderate success by spot treatment with Kent Tech M Magnesium (a treatment that worked for me years ago to kill bryopsis). I remember reading somewhere that it is possibly the lithium in the formulation weakens the algae rather that the Mg itself. The algae tends to turn brilliant red after spot treatment and then sometimes is eaten by my tangs or foxface. I am also currently trying a side-by-side test of Kent Tech M alongside spot treatment using H2O2 9% to compare impact. I have recently read somewhere that Aiptasia X may kill certain algae and am just now trying that as well. In terms of biological control I have tried several groups of Mexican Turbos with not much success (some large ones and some smaller) plus the snail species. I have blue tuxedo urchins that seem to not do much. I have read that for some reason red tuxedos are more successful so may try that although some of the algae tufts are in the middle of coral colonies or zoas so unlikely an urchin will be able to reach them. Hermits or emerald crabs do very little. So in summary, having over the last 15 years overcome dinos, bryopsis, cyano outbreaks, hydroids, palythoa invasions and all manner of things, this has been my longest struggle (although it is more annoying than an existential threat to the reef). If anyone has any insights or thoughts I would be very grateful - and can post a few pics if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 27
  • algae 2.jpg
    algae 2.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 15
  • algae 3.jpg
    algae 3.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 19
  • algae 4.jpg
    algae 4.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi all
I'm looking for some practical experience-driven advice on a red algae issue I have had now for several years. After extensive research I believe it is Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte state (used to be called Falkenbergia hillebrandii.). This is NOT what is often called "pink cotton candy" algae (callithamnion) that can generally be taken care of by a few Mexican turbo snails.

I first posted about this on reef2reef forum in 2021 and much of the situation remains the same 2 years later. I am continuing trying Kent Tech M to weaken the algae tufts and hope my newly added Foxface (siganus vulpinus) will nibble at it. Over the years I have several tried true Mexican turbo snails (which usually due fairly quickly and make a negligible impact). I have even completely stripped my frag system 6 months ago and cleaned it with bleach and then H2O2, but the algae still soon returned on various frag plugs and colonies, probably spread from the sump. The algae happily co-exists with the caulerpa taxifolia in my refugium. So, if anyone has any direct experience of something similar I would greatly appreciate your help. To confirm this is NOT a parameters issue - my PO4 and nitrates are fine, the system is now many years old and stable. I believe this is just a very persistent algae which, because it is red, is less appealing to most herbivores available in the hobby. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is the Algae ID thread

Asparagopsis taxiformis - Reef Central Online Community
ormis - Reef Central Online Community
Asparagopsis taxiformis Marine Plants & Macroalgae
www.reefcentral.com

Here is the thread and what I posted some years ago which still applies.

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. I am from South Africa and have been reefing for the better part of 5 years. I’ve run into some issues and would like some advice. I have some red hair algae that I have been battling. I assume it was a bit of negligence on my side and throwing in some high tds...
www.reef2reef.com

For context I am in the UK and have a 2,000 litre system consisting of large established display and interconnected frag tank, sump and refugium. I started seeing tufts of this fluffy reg algae about 6 years ago in my frag take and DT and have been intermittently battling it ever since. It is definitely not cotton candy algae (callithamnion) nor is it classic red turf algae. It is relatively slow growing, very filamentous and a deep red (not pink). It is not brutally invasive but is is very persistent and will "anchor" itself in rock crevices etc, and it appears broken-off filaments will re-establish elsewhere. I have no option to remove rocks completely or drop my water level significantly to spot treat in open air so over the years I have researched and tried various things on terms of treatments and biological control. I have had some moderate success by spot treatment with Kent Tech M Magnesium (a treatment that worked for me years ago to kill bryopsis). I remember reading somewhere that it is possibly the lithium in the formulation weakens the algae rather that the Mg itself. The algae tends to turn brilliant red after spot treatment and then sometimes is eaten by my tangs or foxface. I am also currently trying a side-by-side test of Kent Tech M alongside spot treatment using H2O2 9% to compare impact. I have recently read somewhere that Aiptasia X may kill certain algae and am just now trying that as well. In terms of biological control I have tried several groups of Mexican Turbos with not much success (some large ones and some smaller) plus the snail species. I have blue tuxedo urchins that seem to not do much. I have read that for some reason red tuxedos are more successful so may try that although some of the algae tufts are in the middle of coral colonies or zoas so unlikely an urchin will be able to reach them. Hermits or emerald crabs do very little. So in summary, having over the last 15 years overcome dinos, bryopsis, cyano outbreaks, hydroids, palythoa invasions and all manner of things, this has been my longest struggle (although it is more annoying than an existential threat to the reef). If anyone has any insights or thoughts I would be very grateful - and can post a few pics if anyone is interested.
FYI, Kent Tech M is no longer the same recipe after Jack Kent sold the company, however Jack took over Brightwell from his son-in-law a few years back, and Brightwell Hydrat-MG uses the original Tech M recipe or at least the same magnesium source.
After extensive research I believe it is Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte state (used to be called Falkenbergia hillebrandii.)
Does it ever develop beyond the Sporophyte stage to confirm your ID?

I had something similar a looong time ago in my 450. Unfortunately, I got laid off from my job and had to sell the tank before I could figure it out.

I may have missed it, but how’s your pH? I recently dealt with HORRIBLE Cyano for a long time. I tried everything and nothing worked. A couple months ago, I noticed my pH was running in the low side. Started dosing kalk and keeping pH between 8.2-8.4 and no more Cyano.

FYI, Kent Tech M is no longer the same recipe after Jack Kent sold the company, however Jack took over Brightwell from his son-in-law a few years back, and Brightwell Hydrat-MG uses the original Tech M recipe or at least the same magnesium source.

Does it ever develop beyond the Sporophyte stage to confirm your ID?
Many thanks for that info on Brightwell. I think the algae does develop to gametophyte stage in my sump as it does look a little different but there agan it could be. different red algae. I will take a couple of photos nd post - is there a specific algae ID forum here that can help to confirm by reaching wider audience - unless you are an algae guru (he said with fingers crossed!!)?

I may have missed it, but how’s your pH? I recently dealt with HORRIBLE Cyano for a long time. I tried everything and nothing worked. A couple months ago, I noticed my pH was running in the low side. Started dosing kalk and keeping pH between 8.2-8.4 and no more Cyano.
Hi - thanks for the input but to confirm this is 100% NOT cyanobacteria - it is a red algae; pH and all other parameters are stable and within desired parameters.

Hi - thanks for the input but to confirm this is 100% NOT cyanobacteria - it is a red algae; pH and all other parameters are stable and within desired parameters.
Oh, I wasn’t trying to imply this was Cyano. Just using my experience anecdotally.

@Michael Hoaster would be the best person to ask but, I believe he’s been out of the hobby for a bit.

Many thanks for that info on Brightwell. I think the algae does develop to gametophyte stage in my sump as it does look a little different but there agan it could be. different red algae. I will take a couple of photos nd post - is there a specific algae ID forum here that can help to confirm by reaching wider audience - unless you are an algae guru (he said with fingers crossed!!)?
Some more pictures - I believe this is the gametophyte stage, where it becomes less "fluffy" with a more defined structure - but I could well be entirely wrong!

Attachments

• algae 5.jpg
    algae 5.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 17
  • algae 6.jpg
    algae 6.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 19
  • algae 7.jpg
    algae 7.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 19
Back