Hair Algea

The_Browns

Alright, I am picking up some live rock from someone tomorrow becuase they are taking down their tank. He told me it has hair algea on some of the rock. What should I do?

I would put it in a dark tub full of tank water with a lid on it and a powerhead for circullation, and leave it there for a few weeks or a month. Then rinse it real good in fresh salt water before adding it to the display.

I have changed my mind, I am not going to buy the rock. WE are just going to buy 50 more lbs of live rock online and just put it in the tank and let the recycle begin. We are wanting to do our custom aquascape on our tank so we were going to expect a new cycle anyways. We are doing the aquascape with fiberglass rods, zipties and epoxy.

If you have a decent biological base (cycle) in place you should be able to add live rock and with the exception of ant crap on the rock dieing off, there shouldn't be much of a spike. Your existing bio flora will absorb a lot of it....I am going to be increasing from my 29 to a 75 gal and already have the majority of my rock either in my tank that is running, or circulating in a bucket, out of an established tank, and I don't anticipate much, if any cycle to be involved....

+1 on being able to use the rock. a scrub and rinse will work. If your tank is not growing the algae then it wont grow whats introduced. I believe its the same with cyano.

Back