half barrel tanks 180º, good for a reef tank?

PelagicMagic

Does a half barrel tank make a good reef tank? What is the biggest half barrel tank available? (Its got to be bigger than 180g. and made of glass)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6913677#post6913677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheFishManiac
it's a half circle..

are there any stores around that actually have one setup with a reef in it? I don't think ive seen one before.

what i wonder is this. for big tanks like a regular 180g or something why don't the companies bend the corners of the glass like they do for nano tanks? does it make the glass to weak or something?

OOOH 175 bowfront, that would so rock!! I love my 72 bowfront. I think bowfronts display stuff so nicely. They appear bigger than they are. I actually bought too much liverock when I thought I would have needed more.
Carrie

Nikonosis, I have seen bent corner tanks and the blurried line of vision is around 4-6 " across on big tanks because it had to be thick glass to support a large tank. It really doesnt look good because it contorts everything. I started to do this on my big tank and when I went to the makers place and saw what it would look like, he changed my mind. Even the 39 gallon tank I had was not as good as a seamed tank. Everytime my seahorses swam in the corners they had 2 heads and huge pot bellies :)
Carrie

Yeah the rock is from Steve, I may sell some off, I have been keeping it in my refugium just building up the corraline. I have some large rocks with huge Kenyas on them I am probably going to see if Bio wants them or Rob's cause these are real nice pieces that are mature and they always trade me for something I can use. As for the rock I will let you know. I moved some stuff around in my big tank and broke some purple cap pieces, I will be bringing some cool stuff to the next meeting, I really overcrowded myself. Like I said the bowfronts look alot larger than they are inside.
Carrie

Well I need to keep looking around. The half circles are nice but are too small for what I have in my 180. I like those aqua medic octagon tanks too and they get big.

Ikaria that was a great web page

Looking for a half barrel 180? I think they have one on sale at the pet supply store next to Publix on fleming Island . The sales person there said to me to make him an offer . I said how about $35, he said get out ! I said ok $ 45. he its a real steal if you have $2800 I think thats what they were asking . check it out .

Back