halimeda, bad?

Hey LJ23,

I am a big fan of Halimedia. It does, however, use a lot of calcium so be sure your are keeping an eye on your calcium levels.

HTH,
Kevin

kmk2307 said:
Hey LJ23,

I am a big fan of Halimedia. It does, however, use a lot of calcium so be sure your are keeping an eye on your calcium levels.

HTH,
Kevin

What part of Halimeda do you like particularly? I am looking for a good macro algae for my reef tank. I tried maiden's hair once, and it was all devoured by the tankmates. Since I do not have refugium, I am look for macro algae that I can keep in the main tank. Also, I like to introduce some "green" to the tank.

Is it invasive in any way?

James

Hey aquajames,

Halimedia is not invasive. I just think it is attractive. There is an article about it in the Notes From The Trences section of Reef Keeping magazine this month. Do you want a macroalgae that grows and removes nutrients from the water? If so I think your best bet is going to be a Caulerpa that is not very prone to going sexual like C. racemosa or C. prolifera. If you keep the individuals small you shouldn't have any problems even if an individual dies or "goes sexual."

HTH,
Kevin

I cannot keep caulerpa in the main tank, as my tangs and others will devour it. I read the article you mentioned. I think I am leaning toward Halimeda.

Thanks.

James

Just keep an eye on alkalinity and calcium - especially if this is a reef. A bunch of Halimeda growing like mad has a startling calcium carbonate demand. Puts an SPS tank to shame!

And if you have tangs with a voracious appetite, you might come across one that eats Halimeda. I have a foxface in a 75 right now that mows down Halimeda. You can see all the chalky aragonite falling out of his mouth as he crunches. Can't taste good, but there's always a freak fish here and there. Just pointing that out so you won't be alarmed if you happen to have a tang with similar tastes.

Glad to see the article was of assistance.

-Kirby Adams

Back