Hammer problems

Phixman

I bought these two hammers from a store and they haven't been doing too well. They lost color and not extending. I recently started to dose Cal,Mag, and Alk, noticed that some of the color came back on one, but the other still hasn't came out, the one that got some of the color back gets medium flow, and the one at the front hasn't came out in about 2 months, it use to be glued to the rock towards the bottom (use to come out and was purple then) when I noticed it was bleaching I put it on the sand, and has been the same ever since. Something to note is that they weren't aquacultured, the other green hammer I have was is aquacultured and is doing great. I also recently started to dose because my levels kept depleting.

Temp: 77
Salinity: 35.5
ph: 7.68-8.03
Alk: 8.45
Cal: 420
Mag:1250

This is how this hammer use to look like:
Mine still has a bunch of flesh inside
6bjK6SF.jpg

NyNmezf.jpg

WvEpdUT.jpg

9AySKVv.jpg

This is how this one looked like:
C0RnTxP.jpg

3W6r9r6.jpg

A tank picture:
UOoCavW.jpg

Hammers are LPS corals. Coral in the first picture is good as dead. Hammer in 2nd picture looks normal and 3rd looks somewhat bleached. They are probably recovering from lack of or swing of alk, Ca or Mg.

Also your corals are to bunched up together. It will not end well. Eventually they will kill one and other.

Thanks for the replies, I'll wait and see what happens now that my levels are stable, I'm not too worried about how close they are to each other, I'm in the middle of upgrading to a red sea 350, so they will all be moved there.

The proximity of them together could be causing part of this. A lot of corals will send out sweeper tentacles at night that will sting and kill others. These can extend very far past what the normal size of the coral is. At the very least I would move the euphylia by each other as they “usually” get along with each other.

Back