Hannah Checkers

ksicard

Hey all,
I currently use Red Sea test kits for Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium and I was contemplating switching to hannah checkers but I wasn't sure how well or accurate they are for calcium and alk. I'd love for some people to chime in on how they are for those two tests. I keep an SPS reef so having good test kits is pretty important. Sometimes the color changes on the Red Sea test kits can be questionable so it's hard to tell exactly at which color change is where my level is.

I'm switching over as I already have the phosphorus checker. I also have the Red Sea test kit but can't wait to have all Hanna checkers. I did receive a bad batch of regents awhile ago, so I called the company because of inconsistent readings and they sent me some new ones without any hassle. Great customer service

The alk is easy to use. The calcium is more difficult. It only uses a 0.1 ml sample so you have to be super careful and accurate with your technique. The phosphate (at least my older one) has a bad habit of shutting off really quickly after the reading is ready so I always set a separate timer so I don't miss it.

As for accuracy, I have no clue. They read within the expected range for me, but unless you're testing with a control solution of some sort I don't know how you would tell.

Back