Hard water stains....

stpauli914

Got a tank that sat outside for a while and has some hard water stains on it. Any secrets for getting rid of them?

Aaron

muriatic acid if the tank is glass, have heard mixed results about using it on acrylic. vinegar is always a good start. you can spray and cover to let it really soak into the deposits.

Tried some extra strength windex that has vinegar in it(on the outside only) and it didn't help at all. I will try straight vinegar. I have lime away as well, but does that have any grit to it?? I don't wanna scratch it.

Aaron

you didn't hear it from me, but you can distill white vinegar in the freezer and get stronger acetic acid :)

try soaking some paper towels and laying them on the spots, that will give it time to work with less elbow grease.

I'd check more on clr or lime-away if it is for the inside of the tank, outside is less of a concern.

when I had my vavariums set up I would cut a lemon in half and rub it over the glass. A trick I picked up on the dendro forums. It worked pretty good.

I had this issue where water was condensing and seeping over the top of my tank and ran down the front glass, leaving a tough calcium stain. I cleaned what could with warm water and Windex but the outline where the water ran down the front remained. I reluctantly tried CLR cleaner and that (along with some elbow grease) got the majority of it off. Not perfect, but it was much better!

Bar Keepers Freind worked well for me when most of the mentioned didn't work. But most of my "hard water stains"ended up being the glass was etched but coraline algae from the previous owner.

Back