Harlequin shrimp vs asterina

gareth.hubbarde

I have a mad explosion of these white critters and lost all my small zoas to them. I bought a harlequin shrimp yesterday in an attempt to rid the tank. How quickly will one shrimp take to get through a load of starfish? Do they actively hunt them or just wait for thrm to go past? Basically my tank gong yo be on hold in terms of new corals etc until starfish are under control so your input be appreciated.
88f52cc904984b98cce34abf263d26f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Not sure about the harlequin shrimp as I've never had one but believe they actively hunt them as a food source.

As for putting your tank on hold because of them. There's no need. Most are harmless and their population will self regulate based on levels of available food sources. They actually do a pretty good job cleaning the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funny u say that about zoas I believe they might be eating mine atm leave palys alone just seem to attack zoa not like they will go for them just opportunistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had asterina stars several times, they've never harmed anything and I have about 10 different zoas, tank is full of SPS and a few LPS.

I've used harlequin shrimp every time, actually have a pair right now, they're awesome at ridding your tank of the stars.

It'll take a few months to knock down an infestation, just enjoy the shrimp while you have the stars for food.

Just know, the shrimp will starve when they're gone, so feed them big starfish once a month, or re-home them..

Funny u say that about zoas I believe they might be eating mine atm leave palys alone just seem to attack zoa not like they will go for them just opportunistic

Are you sure something else isn't eating the zoas and the starfish are just cleaning up? I get the starfish on my corals too but only when there is dieback. Never seen any attack a healthy coral.

That said, there are more things in this hobby.....

Are you sure something else isn't eating the zoas and the starfish are just cleaning up? I get the starfish on my corals too but only when there is dieback. Never seen any attack a healthy coral.

That said, there are more things in this hobby.....

Just guessing by what I have read about these starfish being silent coral killers online and the fact that all my healthy zoas are now decimated. All lps thriving so can rule out water. Don't have any coral eating fish (coral beauty possibly) that I know of so decided to get a harlequin shrimp to get rid of these pests and see what happens then. Take one task at a time, solve what I can. Fish lst

Algae blenny
Onespot foxface
Coral beauty
Kole tang
Regal tang (young and small)
Pair ociliras clownfish
Royal gramma
Adorned wrasse

300l aquarium.

I've had asterina stars several times, they've never harmed anything and I have about 10 different zoas, tank is full of SPS and a few LPS.

I've used harlequin shrimp every time, actually have a pair right now, they're awesome at ridding your tank of the stars.

It'll take a few months to knock down an infestation, just enjoy the shrimp while you have the stars for food.

Just know, the shrimp will starve when they're gone, so feed them big starfish once a month, or re-home them..

Are your shrimp active in the day, do they hunt the starfish ( off the glass)? Mine been in 36 hours, in hiding during lights on. Hoping will settle in and start to hunt soon.

No, they're fairly reclusive, I only see mine every month or so, when you start to see them regularly, it's because they're beginning to run out of starfish to eat, they usually hang out under the edge of a rock and are looking for some food.

I say them because I have a bonded pair.

Shortly after you begin seeing yours regularly, you need to consider buying a large starfish for it. I'm not a big fan of feeding live food, but it is very interesting to watch a harlequin shrimp eat a large starfish. Usually takes about a week, but it's quite a struggle for it to turn a starfish over on its back.

Back