Harlequin Tusk problems in QT

galio

In Memoriam
I bought the fish from another reefer about a month ago. I have it in a 30g Hypo-QT with 2 other fishes.

It was swimming and eating fine until about 2 days ago. It started breathing fast and is now hiding behind the flower pot I put in there. It does not want to eat or anything. I don't know how to get him to eat.

The other 2 fish in there is healthy and fine. I see no visible spots or disease of any sorts.

How do I entice it to eat? I do not want to lose this fish because he's such a beaut. Please Help.

Thanks

Did you cycle the QT? How are ammonia levels? Plenty of flow and surface turbulence for gas exchange? Heavy breathing can be an oxygen issue, and tusks are big, robust fish with high oxygen needs and low ammonia tolerance. BTW, tusks, like most wrasse, are jumpers. be sure the tank is covered, preferably not with glass. Not eating for two days is no big deal, but combined with the breathing, indicates a problem. 3 fish of any size in a newly set up QT will probably need frequent water changes, unless you have plenty of mature filter media. I really suspect you'll find ammonia when you test.

Did you cycle the QT? How are ammonia levels? Plenty of flow and surface turbulence for gas exchange? Heavy breathing can be an oxygen issue, and tusks are big, robust fish with high oxygen needs and low ammonia tolerance. BTW, tusks, like most wrasse, are jumpers. be sure the tank is covered, preferably not with glass. Not eating for two days is no big deal, but combined with the breathing, indicates a problem.

QT was not cycled, I check the water everyday for ammonia. I dose PRIME 2x a day (morning and night). If there is ammonia I change about 40% of the water.

Flow is pretty good, not a lot of turbulence, but not standing water. The tank is covered with a plastic cover.

Should I put it some air bubblers in there?

QT was not cycled, I check the water everyday for ammonia. I dose PRIME 2x a day (morning and night). If there is ammonia I change about 40% of the water.

Flow is pretty good, not a lot of turbulence, but not standing water. The tank is covered with a plastic cover.

Should I put it some air bubblers in there?

Airstones should help. If the cover is tight fitting; there may be a gas exchange problem. I'm not sure about "Prime"; but most ammonia neutralizers won't let you get accurate ammonia test results, they still measure the "neutralized" ammonia. The stick-on shoe only dangerous ammonia. . With an uncycled tank and Prime; I'd expect all ammonia tests to be positive. The Prime should handle the ammonia toxicity problem; but may need to be dosed quite heavily. Prime is made by SeaChem and they have great tech support---I'd ask them how much to use. (888-seachem, I think.) If you find the need to use copper down the road, remember it's deadly when mixed with Prime and similar products. Large, regular WCs are a must and it sounds like you're doing that.

Airstones should help. If the cover is tight fitting; there may be a gas exchange problem. I'm not sure about "Prime"; but most ammonia neutralizers won't let you get accurate ammonia test results, they still measure the "neutralized" ammonia. The stick-on shoe only dangerous ammonia. . With an uncycled tank and Prime; I'd expect all ammonia tests to be positive. The Prime should handle the ammonia toxicity problem; but may need to be dosed quite heavily. Prime is made by SeaChem and they have great tech support---I'd ask them how much to use. (888-seachem, I think.) If you find the need to use copper down the road, remember it's deadly when mixed with Prime and similar products. Large, regular WCs are a must and it sounds like you're doing that.

I think you were right... After I went home I put in a big airstone and after about 3-4hrs I dropped in some of his favorite pellets right in front of where he's hiding and he went for it. He ate like 3-4 big pellets of formula 2 :)

After that he went for a little swim.

I hope he does fine and recovers!!

I think you were right... After I went home I put in a big airstone and after about 3-4hrs I dropped in some of his favorite pellets right in front of where he's hiding and he went for it. He ate like 3-4 big pellets of formula 2 :)

After that he went for a little swim.

I hope he does fine and recovers!!

Glad to hear it, keep us posted.

Back