Health of recently added Devils Hand

mkryz

Hello, I recently purchased a devils hand leather with various other soft coral, zoa and mushroom frags all from the same tank about 5 days ago. Everything seems the be opening and healthy except the hand. As seen in the picture (hopefully i uploaded it correctly) the hand is covered in brown and green algae and one finger is turning white and visibly starting to decay. At night, half of the coral glows green the other half with the decaying finger has no fluorescence at night. So far, all i have done is slightly increase the flow on it and squirt it with a baster a couple times. Didn't try scrubbing any algae off yet. I realize that sometimes they close up for a while to shed old skin. The tank it is in is a 32g coralife biocube led. The only residents of this aquarium are hermits and snails.

Specific gravity 1.0235 (I realize this is slightly low I plan to slowly increase to 1.024-1.026)
Temp 77
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate approximately 0ppm
ph 8.0
Calcium approximately 400ppm
Alkalinity 4.0 Meq/L 11.2 dkh
That's all the information I can think of
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Snapchat-6510897028849725817.jpg
    Snapchat-6510897028849725817.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
I don't know the real name of mine but I call it a finger coral, it doesn't like algae on it at all, sorry I'm not more help

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I don't know the real name of mine but I call it a finger coral

I have some of this. I was told it's pulsing sinularia. If you turn off all flow in your tank you should see the little polyps "pulse"

OP,
My devils hand took a couple weeks to open up and would shed frequently. Which was frustrating because it was beautiful when it was fully open and happy. Give it time and it will open.

It is probably just adjusting to the new tank. Either that or it may have been shocked during the change. In my experience they are just about bullet proof. You can pinch off branches, cut off branches, tear off branches and they will grow back and the babies will grow like crazy. I have two decent sized devil's hand leathers and seven growing frags. Try different lighting and flow areas in the tank. I'm betting it comes back if you do.

Every time I move my leather it stays like that for a couple of days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back