Hello

HiroPro

Hello All!

Been seeing some info about your club lately @ W.U.W and will try to come down for the next meeting.
I'm just getting back into the salt side of things after doing planted tanks for the past few years.
I'm in the process of converting a 40G breeder that was my last planted tank into my first reef tank.

Does the club have a website?

Ryan

We don't have a website yet. We have been talking about getting one up and running. We just don't have any members that know how to set one up, and our funding has been pretty limited.

If you have any questions, you can post them on here and I will typically respond pretty quick.

The next meeting is at W.U.W. and we will be giving away a bunch of great prizes to those present that have purchased tickets for our drawing.

Thanks and hope to see you at the next meeting, Ryan.

Hey Ryan- I'm in the same boat (although not my first reef tank). We're in Bentonville. I'm setting up a new 29gal. right now.

If you guys need anything, don't hesitate to ask. If I don't have the answer, or the equipment, I'm sure someone in the club does. If you need any help - the same goes.

Welcome to the area, if I haven't already done so.

I'm pretty close to getting all the equipment in. Still need to get the tanks drilled and the plumbing all done. The setup will be the 40 breeder as the dt, a 15G display refugium beside the dt and a 20G long sump.

Might like to get some seed live sand when it gets going.

Gonna try to make it to the meeting but with it that close to Christmas, don't know if I can.

If you need any help drilling, just let me know. I have the bits for 1" holes. It should be good for a few more. FWIW, I actually drilled the 55 at W.U.W. with that exact bit, as well as my 75.

Also, very nice choice on tanks. I really like the depth and the shallow aspect of the 40 breeder. Should be nice once you get it going.

Just hollar when you are ready for some seed sand - we can get you a few different samples.

Also, I'm using a pulverized lime for my next tank as a substrate - it is available at HD for 4.67 a bag (don't buy it all, I still need some!). It outside by the garden hoses and other garden stuff. Quite a few guys in OK have used it successfully for their substrate, and I am actually running about 20lbs of it right now in my 75 as filler.

We are also exploring making MMLR - Man Made Live Rock - at one of the upcoming meetings (probably april or so). I am currently trying to perfect the mix, but it should be a fun process.

I ordered the kits from glasscages which have the stuff to do the drilling. Doesn't look too difficult.

I've seen some of the mmlr projects on here and they look pretty cool. I've got a bunch of rock that came out of my brother-in-law's reef that I'm going to use as base rock.

Ryan

I got some stuff from gl*******s.com and it went great. You are more than welcome to borrow anything from me too. I got two holesaws, 1 for 1" holes and 1 for 1/2" holes. Hopefully I'll put up a build thread soon. It's very simple and nothing exciting but still fun :rollface:

I bought a little bit of live rock off someone local and then bought some dead rock from Marcorocks.com for the rest. Good price and I really really like it- even though of course it has no coralline right now, the shapes and sizes and porosity of it is great. edit- it's the "Key Largo" rock, which is a reef friendly choice as well as cool looking (if you have the patience to wait for it to become live rock :) )

Thanks for the offer Mike.
Don't know when I'll get the kits from gl*******s. They're on vacation and won't be shipping until the 15th. Did you use a drill with a clutch?

I'm really anxious to get this going!

I just used my cordless black and decker. Feel free to borrow it if you need it - however, it is a bit ghetto, as I dropped it and broke the battery part off. Duct tape fixed it nicely, though.

I've always freehanded all of mine. I just start the bit on an angle and then slowly tilt it back up once I get a nice groove on about 1/4 of the hole.

Cordless for me as well. Clutch simply refers to that thing you twist on top to adjust speed. Here's what I did:

Make sure you're not drilling tempered!! Most important thing lol. If you are not sure at all about this let me know, and/or do some searching on RC and you'll find out all about it. Assuming it's not tempered, you can drill. I followed the instructions from glass-holes.com and everything was very easy. It came with a template which was helpful. I laid the tank on it's side, and had a cup of water, my drill, the template and the holesaws (bits). I laid a towel inside the tank directly where the glass that I drilled out would fall through. Decided exactly where I wanted it (make sure you are at least as far away from any edge as the diameter of your hole), then put the template there. Then I clamped it on there with a spring clamp (NOT the twisting type of wood clamp, just a simple plastic spring clamp. again if you're not sure about this just ask! The wrong type of clamp could obviously break glass pretty easily). I poured some water from the cup into the hole inside the template and started drilling- very slowly on a low speed. After a little bit once I could tell a "groove" was started I removed the template. Just keep pouring water every so often and slowly grind away. Grind is the key here. It's a sloooowwwww grind, not a fast drilling! Every once in a while I pulled out of the hole and sort of "rinsed" it out with new water and then did some more slow grinding. Eventually you will get all the way through and that's all there is to it.

Hope this makes sense, I typed it kind of fast. Like I said, if you ordered from glass-holes you will get really good instructions, or if you ordered from somewhere else you can still use the instructions from that site. It's not too bad if you just really take your time, after you get through one hole you relax a lot :)

Let me know if you have any questions on anything I said...

Back