Help! Algae Problems

ChuckNasty

Hey guys, having a bit of a hair algae problem. Basically every time I turn my lights in my aquarium on, hair algae starts to grow. No matter what. I have my lights on almost the lowest setting and have them on for 5 ish hours per day. Doesn't seem like a lot right? Wrong. The only way I can stop it from growing is if I turn off my lights completely so it doesnt get out of hand. I feed my fish once every other day - 2 days. So I dont think there is excess food, I have excellent water circulation. I truly am at a loss. Maybe someone else has had this problem in the past? Help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem. Been using nopox but no change. Finally stopped the dosing and hooked up my old GFO reactor. Already after a month the HA is turning light green to gray. Every week when I do a water change I pull out as much as I can. Slowly winning the battle. Also just ordered new bulbs since mine are just over a year old.

Hair algae like that is almost always a nutrient problem. Test your nitrate and phosphate and post them here.

The nitrate and phosphate test kits I have dont seem to work, (they have always read the same thing, even when cycling) anyone have links to a more reliable test kit?

Light + excess nutrients= algae

I Would suspect nutrients over the lighting.

What are you using for water? tap or RO/DI

Are you running a skimmer?

You may need to run some GFO to get rid of excess phosphates. I personally like the hanna checkers for phosphate. I use salifert for nitrates. It is possible that when you check your phosphates or nitrates they would seem ok but they are being used up by the algae.

I am running a cheap skimmer that came with my aquarium kit, it seems to be working. I use distilled water from the grocery store, as my nearest LFS is over an hour away. The last part is borderline greek to me.

well you have algae.... so you have phosphates.... no need for a test kit to prove what you can see. Algae is sometimes so good at consuming phosphates that you cant even get a reading because the Algae is leaching it so quickly. I have a few posts on my tank build that I explained what I did when I had a outbreak. Its not that complicated to take care of but it needs a bit of elbow grease.

-Make sure you use RO/DI water with 0PPM and 0 phos ( get a Hanna : HI713 Phosphate Low Range Checker )
- get a GFO reactor with good quality media ( I use PO4X4 and I LOVE IT )
- when you do a water change get a very low stream siphon and pull the algae and make sure it gets sucked in to the waste water. You can manually remove it , brush it with a tooth brush
- Get some good snails!! big turbo's are the best. Get a bunch and return them to the LFS for credits after they had a good meal.

You can also drain your water - do your water change and then remove the rocks from the display and scrub them with a bigger brush in your old water before placing them in the tank again. This is what I think did the most good for my outbreak. with time you will feel the algae getting weaker , easier to pull and brush off... this is a sign that phosphates are on the low and you are winning the battle !! My next option if nothing would of work would of been a tip I have seen on Melevsreef on youtube He used Blue Life Phosphate Rx to bind the Phosphate that can then be exported with water change and skimming. This will help make the algae weak so you can remove it easier.

Hope this helps , Happy reefing :beachbum:

I am running a cheap skimmer that came with my aquarium kit, it seems to be working. I use distilled water from the grocery store, as my nearest LFS is over an hour away. The last part is borderline greek to me.

Sorry about that.

GFO is granular ferric oxide, it is a medium that goes into a reactor and the GFO will absorb the phosphate out of the water. Basically a phosphate filter.

A lot of times folks will test for nitrates and phosphates and get very low numbers. They will be perplexed because the numbers are low but got some hair algae. The reason is the algae is taking up all the excess nitrates and phosphates, growing like mad but leaving the appearance of low nitrates and phosphates.

Hanna is the brand name of a tester. I like the one they make for testing for phosphates. Salifert is another brand and I like that test for nitrates.

I notice you got a 24g tank. How often are you doing water changes and how much?

Im doing about a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks.

With a smaller tank and a so so skimmer you may want to try and up your WC's to weekly and see if that helps out.

Take a look at BRS for reactor ideas. If I remember right "two little fishes" makes a smaller reactor for your size tank.

Did you use dry rock? I used dry rock and had a hair algae outbreak. It seemed like no matter what i did i couldn't get rid of it, only manage it. But I kept up with it and "worked on it" daily and eventually it went away. They say that dry rock can release phosphates into the tank for a couple of months so maybe thats the source.

No, it was liverock when I put it in. I'll try once-a-week water changes. What is a reactor?

A reactor is basically a housing that we can put filter media in. They will either have a small pump to move the water through it or will be plumbed off the return line in a lot of cases.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmers.html

The link should give you an idea of what to look for. click on reactors and then GFO, media reactors

Thanks for the info, so is this something I have to spend 300 dollars on? I would prefer to not have to spend more than 100, (im on a bit of a budget currently) plus I have no idea what would or wouldn't fit in my particular set up.

Used reactors are for sale all the time for relatively cheap. I just got one this past weekend for 20 bucks. Then you just pay to add the GFO. Depending on your levels of phosphates will depend on how much GFO you use.

Back