help asap

wegotcrabs

all of a sudden it smelt like something was burning. I checked the tank but i didnt see anything. All of a sudden all my fish are dead. They all died with in minutes of eachother. What the hell just happend? Is it possible that something caused an electric shock killing all of my live stock?

Check your powerheads and/or your heaters in the tank/sump. Don't put your hand in until you turn your power off first.

Some of the fish are still alive,, but it seems as they are gasping for air. What should i do? Shut the tank down, or do a water change?

Shut the tank down, find the issue, then do a water change. Dangerous amperage could be going thru your tank.

Unplug everything, fast- and check all heaters/pumps for breakage. Sorry for the loss of you fish- it sounds like they were hit by voltage released in the water by a malfunction. My guess would be a short from a heater that also broke the heater, causing the smell and the voltage.

I took the heater out and it smells like burnt plactic. Is there a chance of saving the fish? I have all the equipment on GFI outlet. I dont know why it didnt trip.

Before you turn the power back on and put your hand in the water make sure you test to see if any voltage or amps are still running thru the water with a voltmeter if you have one.

It may have an effect; assuming you've rid the tank of the voltage problem, the next thing is to rid it of pollutants by doing several water changes of 25 percent or so over the next several days and running carbon. If you're feeling paticularly brave (or foolhearty), you can dip your pinky in the tank in your stocking feet to see if you feel anything beyond a mild shock. Anything more and you've still got an electrical problem. A voltage meter is much safer.

i already put my hand in there. I didnt say I'm the smartest tool in the shed- and i didnt feel anything. Im going to do a 20% water change now, i hope this helps. This sucks i had some awesome fish.

If I were to guess, I would suspect the heater failed catastrophically which means there is likely to be pollutants. Water changes are all I know to do to rectify the situation.

Back