Help ID this hitch hiker

sgjerry

Can someone help ID this hitch hiker? It seems to be something longish .... what is shown is perhaps the head .... or whatever. It moves very much like how a sea cucumber or slug moves. Any info is appreciated.
53008funnything.jpg

That is a Chiton. It's a relative of snails. They usually feed on films of algae on rocks. I have (or at least had) one of this species or a very similar sp. in my tank and I used to know the name of the genus. I might have it on my home computer somewhere.

Phylum Mollusca
Class polyplacophora

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks for the reply. But I thought chitons are suppose to be oval in shape and has 8 plate like shells on top? This fellow looks more longish ...

Chitons come in several different shapes from round to oval to elongate. The mantle on this one mostly covers the 8 plates. It's in the genus Cryptoplax, possibly species larvaeformis. The plates are reduced in size so the animal is far more flexible and sluglike than other chitons.

Oh ok ... thanks a lot! Learn something everyday and glad that it is a chiton :) and not anything dangerous.

Oh ok ... thanks a lot! Learn something everyday and glad that it is a chiton :) and not anything dangerous.

Back