Help! My tank sounds like a toilet flushing!

yoyoyoo123

There's something wrong with my drain in the overflow. It sounds like a toilet is flushing every few minutes.

The water will literally swish down like a toilet flushing, then slowly fill up in the durso area, and then will flush down again.

Is this due to too much or too little flow??!

Not enough air. Increase /clear out the air hole.

When my air hole gets plugged mine turns into a toilet.

Changes to chemistry can also necessitate the enlarging of the existng air hole.

Josh

i have a drilled overflow. With a pvc durso. The durso has a right angle inverted downwards.

My return is a Mag 3, when I close off about 1/2 the flow from the Mag 3, it seems like I don't get the toilet flushing every few minutes. is there any other thing I can do besides reducing the flow from the mag3??

hmmm, if I make an opening to the air hole, I hear a constant draining sound, much lower volume than the occasional toilet flush, but anyway to avoid this as well?

Is the pipe/tube from your overflow going to the sump submerged or above sump water level?

the tube is going to the sump submerged... is this a problem?

it's going into a filter sock.

And the tube is flex tubing, and it flexes about a slant into the side of my sump.

Hmm, I dunno since you're using a durso. I use a stockman standpipe. I keep the outlet pipe submerged in my sump. I find that if the sump water level gets too low leaving the pipe above sump water level I get the toilet flush and the water level in my internal overflow goes up and down.

Do you have the top part of the durso where you can twist the pipe and adjust the size of the whole on the side of the durso? If you adjust that hole size it should get rid of the toilet draining effect....

stockman pipes are awesome. add a sock to catch the bubbles from the overfrlow drain and you'll have virtually no sound coming out of your drain/overflow. do a search on 'stockman' it's fairly simple to make too.

The drain hole needs to be the right size for your overflow. I would recommend starting smaller and boring out the airhole until the flushing disappears.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6918661#post6918661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoyoyoo123
i have a drilled overflow. With a pvc durso. The durso has a right angle inverted downwards.

My return is a Mag 3, when I close off about 1/2 the flow from the Mag 3, it seems like I don't get the toilet flushing every few minutes. is there any other thing I can do besides reducing the flow from the mag3??

If you dont have an over flow box then thats may be the problem. My frag tank had a durso without an over flow box and I had the same problem with it. Either install an over flow box or get a smaller return pump.

Back