help??? needed in Bemidji

Swanwillow

goby girl
I was looking my tank over really good today, and saw some saltcreap on the bottom of my tank. I thought ok, oddd.....

felt under the stand, and its wet:therefore, after being set up since november, its started leaking.

I don't know if I should take everything out NOW, and figure something out (ie:get my 55 gallon back!!!) or buy another tank:theres a hex thats about the same as mine for sale right now, I'm waiting for a reply.

should I worry about it cracking? leaking ALOT? I'm going to the newbie forum with this question too.

BUT anyone have a spare 29 gallon tank sitting round they are willing to lend me for a bit?

oh, if I took everything out now, it would be going into big plastic tupperware containers til I figured this out... maybe my son will live without his zebrafish and goldfish, so I can put all the fish into the spare ten gallon that I can.

If I read right I see hex, the best I can tell you is prone to leak and never be right again.

Fahz

well, I'm going to finish taking out the sand (I'm being a tiny lazy now that the huge move is done), dry it out, and re-seal the whole bottom, and maybe 2 inches up each side with an overcoat...

I can have that done in a few days, with everyone back in there shortly.

I once had a 150 gallon tank crack in the bottom and dump 150 gallons of water in to an apartment that i had been living in a week. Silicon does not adhere well to itself, and I strongly recommend against an "overcoat". The most effective way to reseal a tank is to remove the old silicon with a razor blade, clean the edges with rubbing alcohol and reapply the silicon. Even in with the best reseal job it is unlikely you will be able to effectively reproduce the original factory seal, and for a hex I would recommend that you sell the tank as a reptile habitat and start over. Just my opinion, but I have had a close friend try unsuccessfully to reseal a hex. If you already have the stand, filtration, fish, live rock, lighting, etc. then the cost of the tank itself is a small percentage of what you have invested in the whole setup. You also have to factor in your time and headache in resealing the old tank, and if you already have your livestock in a temporary holding facility, it is just as easy to transfer them to a new tank. Just my humble opinion, you should do what you think is best. If you decide to reseal the tank, keep us posted on how it worked out.

well, its already re-sealed... and I did strip off all the old sealant... it was just NASTY old sealant.

the major problem is is that this is a seahorse tank:and I only have a spare ten gallon, which is WAY to small for them, plus the other two fish that came=major problems.

my steps to re-sealing are here
http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=25386

I think I did a good job: and it has been resealed before... there were two different layers of silicone in the tank on the bottom it didn't show too bad, but on the top it did...

and since I've done it before on a 29 gallon, I feel confident. if it doesn't hold water overnight (in the bathroom, with towels!!!) then I'll get another one... probably just a 29 gallon, but I'd LOVE to find another tank similar...

I did notice that theres still that 37 gallon tall for sale...

I've had an Oceanic 42g Hex for over 7 years, never a problem. I think and tank can leak, depands on the humitiy and how it is use, if its level and moved around often.

For me, the price of a bare tank would be enough to help me sleep at night then to try and trust a re-seal :)

well, I don't have $$$$ for a new tank... I'm about to go on maternity leave, so won't have it for months. but, a tube of sealant is $5... gotta do what ya gotta do!!!

but, In a few months I MAY have the money for a new tank... I'd like a 100 gallon then, for lots of seahorses don'tcha know?!?!

plus, I'll be moving soon, hopefully BEFORE the babys here. thats another 1000 dollars we don't have at the moment, which any money will go to long before a new fishtank...

get what I'm saying: I'll either have to find a used one, OR I'll be doing lots of water changes in tubs for a long time, OR I'll trust my seal.

I think its going to be trust my seal for awhile!!!

Yep, i know how the money goes with to boys and many pets :)

To bad the money spent on gas to bring you a tank would cost more then the tank, cause i have both a 46g and 29g setting at the sister-in-laws.

Just make sure you let that silicone dry good, and good luck on the baby.

oh, that I am. The first layer should be done today-and I went over the corners with a second THICK layer that will be done tomorrow. My BF will be home tomorrow, so I'll have him fill it half full, and put towels around it to see if it leaks... SO, by tomorrow night I may have it set back up.

Heads Up

Heads Up

If you have taken the sand out and are going to put it back in the tank after you fix it, be careful. The bad bacteria in the sand gets mixed up with the good sand and will need to cycle again. If you don't, the corals and fish may not survive. I know this from a very expensive mistake I made.

didn't have a dsb-it was around 2 inches, for the jawfish I got (I was preparing)

so that should be ok too... its sitting in a thin layer in a tub full of water right now.

an update for ya'll

I filled it half full this afternoon-and its held so far, I'm leaving it in the bathroom til tomorrow when I get home... make sure that its not going to leak!!! and while I was at it, since my seahorses eat out of a feeding dish (half clam shell) I decided what the heck? and siliconed THAT to the tank also-about 2/3 of the way up...

now I just have to teach them that I moved thier feeder to there!!! so far so good.

too late now, but emptying it in a rubbermaid cooler would do to. i've got a 30 gal that i use to cure rock, store RO/DI water. it works great.

my temporarary solution was more or less that: two big tubs, and a ten gallon for the fish. one tub for the sand and nasty water, one tub with newly mixed water and the LR... thinking back, I shoulda kept all the fish but the jawfish in the tub, but... thats in retrospect.

oh, and yes, it held!!! the tank is set up and looking better than ever, well, excluding the diatoms...

Back