Help! Octopus!

chickletslove

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but i really need some advice ASAP.
My cousin just started renting a house, and upon moving in found an aquarium with a octopus and 2 clownfish in it. Apparently the former tenants just abandoned the poor little guys. To make a long story short, I am adopting them tomorrow.
I am not new to fish keeping, I have a 75g and a 55g with SA and African Cichlids. This will, however, be my first salt water tank. I have researched a lot about salt water aquariums over the years, but any and all advice you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Specifically about transporting/caring for the octopus.
I have not seen the tank/fish yet. All I know is they told me that is a 55g, the fish "look fine", and the filter is running. What really worries me is that I know this tank has been neglected for at least 2 weeks but I'm assuming it has been A LOT longer considering the owners didn't even care enough to take their pets with them/find them a home!!! Any advice regarding the ideal way to restore the correct salinity in the tank would also be appreciated (I'm assuming that I would have to do it slowly, over a period of time?)
Thank you all in advance! And as soon as I see it tomorrow I will update and give more specifics. But I'm really worried about the transportation aspect.

Are they sure it's really an octopus?

If so you should post an ad to sell or give it away for free. Not a good way to first get into saltwater.

In the meantime a neglected tank would need salinity, pH, and temperature tested/corrected to start.

I would be surprised if it was actually an octopus in there. If the tank got neglected for 2+ weeks, the clownfish would have become lunch. And with the waste an octo produces, it probably would have died. Take pics if you can, but I agree 100% with mega, sell or give it away. Keep the clowns since they are more hardy, but the poor octo will not survive if you are not an advanced saltwater keeper.

This octo doesn't have blue rings on it, does it? Someone better explain that part to him...

Either everything is dead and he didn't feel the need to post anymore or it was false alarm.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, but i really need some advice ASAP.
My cousin just started renting a house, and upon moving in found an aquarium with a octopus and 2 clownfish in it. Apparently the former tenants just abandoned the poor little guys. To make a long story short, I am adopting them tomorrow.
I am not new to fish keeping, I have a 75g and a 55g with SA and African Cichlids. This will, however, be my first salt water tank. I have researched a lot about salt water aquariums over the years, but any and all advice you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Specifically about transporting/caring for the octopus.
I have not seen the tank/fish yet. All I know is they told me that is a 55g, the fish "look fine", and the filter is running. What really worries me is that I know this tank has been neglected for at least 2 weeks but I'm assuming it has been A LOT longer considering the owners didn't even care enough to take their pets with them/find them a home!!! Any advice regarding the ideal way to restore the correct salinity in the tank would also be appreciated (I'm assuming that I would have to do it slowly, over a period of time?)
Thank you all in advance! And as soon as I see it tomorrow I will update and give more specifics. But I'm really worried about the transportation aspect.

Sounds like a fish story.

Wasn't posted that long ago....

But if this isn't a hoax, post all the values you can test for as well as tank size (total volume or dimensions) and all the equipment the tank has.

Back