HELP PLEASE Skimmer/Cloudy Tank Issue

Josh Candiotti

I have a Reef Octopus 300F HOB Skimmer. Last night I saw my tank was cloudy and that the skimmer was not bubbling like usual. Much lower than usual and big bubbles not microbubbles like usual. My first thought was that something was caught in it somehow, I assumed not a calicum buldup being that this happen so sudden and also that it was different than when I used to get calcium buildups. But I decided to take apart the entire skimmer cleaned it out, rinsed the pumps in vinager and water solution for an hour. Cleaned out all the areas on the pumped where clogs could be, everything was crystal clear. So I assembled the skimmer again. Same thing, little pumping with large bubbles, and the outake pipe was releasing very dirty substances. I don't understand what is going on. Please, help this is a major frustration. How should I fix the skimmer and how do I clear up my tank?

I've noticed this with my reef octo HOB skimmer when I feed. If tank was cloudy, did something die? It seems like a rapid change in the level of "stuff" in the water will cause this.

-Aaron

Ya, nothing has died that I noticed, and I only have 3 fish I see 2 of them, the third is my goby and he usualy hides until late in the day until the lights have been on for a while so I will see. Any other things I can do to clear the water?

You really need to figure out why your water is cloudy before we can help clear it up. What are your tank specs? Size, how long has it been up, test readings, etc.

-Aaron

I was told by the aquarium stray electricty caused the pump in my skimmer to break/malfuntction releasing a ton of dirt and gunk into my tank. As of now thats the best reason for the cloudyness. My nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and ph are all fine. Everything seems to be fine except it is very dirty. Fish are all accounted for, corals are opened and I just think without the skimmer on the takn won't get any clearer. So I will call tommorw and see what I can do.

Do you have a picture you can post? Did you take apart the pump, and was anything broken?

Take the pump off, and run it in the sink or something and see if it looks normal. If so that isn't your problem.

Does that skimmer have a venturi? If so did you check to see if its clean.

Back