Help setting up new quarantine/hospital tank

Formulator

Hi folks! I have been in the hobby for about 10 years, and somehow I’ve managed to keep all my fish healthy. I had one small run in with flukes that was successfully managed by direct dosing my DT with prazi. It seems my luck has run out and I believe I may be dealing with an outbreak of black spot disease (black ich). So I will likely need to get my fish into a freshwater dip and formalin bath. I might try prazi first, but either way I think its time I set up a proper hospital tank.

My question for the community is: how big does it need to be in order to humanely stick a tang or 2 in there for a week? I know these fish need space and I can’t justify setting up a huge tank just for these rare occasions. Also, how do you manage cycling the tank quickly? Or do you all have permanent hospital tanks running just in case? As you can see, I have no clue where to start…

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks! I have been in the hobby for about 10 years, and somehow I’ve managed to keep all my fish healthy. I had one small run in with flukes that was successfully managed by direct dosing my DT with prazi. It seems my luck has run out and I believe I may be dealing with an outbreak of black spot disease (black ich). So I will likely need to get my fish into a freshwater dip and formalin bath. I might try prazi first, but either way I think its time I set up a proper hospital tank.

My question for the community is: how big does it need to be in order to humanely stick a tang or 2 in there for a week? I know these fish need space and I can’t justify setting up a huge tank just for these rare occasions. Also, how do you manage cycling the tank quickly? Or do you all have permanent hospital tanks running just in case? As you can see, I have no clue where to start…

Thanks in advance!
In the (very) old days we had to rely upon nature to take its course. Now we have bottled, active bacteria that can jump-start the biological filter in a matter of hours or at least less than a day. Look for this product at your local fish store or online. Keeping a QT/HT going isn't a big deal if you are quite often adding new marine life. But it really isn't necessary with the new products available. In fact, after use, it is a good idea to clean the QT/HT thoroughly and be sure it is parasite-free before its next use.

The size of the QT is important for the size of the fish. Though you mentioned Tangs, you didn't indicate their size. Tangs travel great distances on the reef -- when they are young adults to adults. As very young fish, they tend to hang in smaller areas.

Black Ich, assuming the diagnosis is correct, is a worm. Using an anthelmintic (deworming) medication is needed. Praziquantel like that in PraziPro works fine. However, The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. When using this medication it is very important to aearate the water with one or more airstones. I like to use one airstone per 30 gallons of water.

Apparently you used PraziPro before. This may make additional doses a problem. You see, the bacteria that utilize/eat the Praziquantel keep multiplying and eventually the doses of PraziPro become ineffective to the parasite since the bacteria eat it before it can go to work on the worm. Still, if it was used just once before, it should be fine to use again. Frequent use of Praziquantel becomes ineffective.

In the (very) old days we had to rely upon nature to take its course. Now we have bottled, active bacteria that can jump-start the biological filter in a matter of hours or at least less than a day. Look for this product at your local fish store or online. Keeping a QT/HT going isn't a big deal if you are quite often adding new marine life. But it really isn't necessary with the new products available. In fact, after use, it is a good idea to clean the QT/HT thoroughly and be sure it is parasite-free before its next use.

The size of the QT is important for the size of the fish. Though you mentioned Tangs, you didn't indicate their size. Tangs travel great distances on the reef -- when they are young adults to adults. As very young fish, they tend to hang in smaller areas.

Black Ich, assuming the diagnosis is correct, is a worm. Using an anthelmintic (deworming) medication is needed. Praziquantel like that in PraziPro works fine. However, The glycol solvent in Prazipro is a carbon source and bacterial growth scavenges oxygen when it is dosed. When using this medication it is very important to aearate the water with one or more airstones. I like to use one airstone per 30 gallons of water.

Apparently you used PraziPro before. This may make additional doses a problem. You see, the bacteria that utilize/eat the Praziquantel keep multiplying and eventually the doses of PraziPro become ineffective to the parasite since the bacteria eat it before it can go to work on the worm. Still, if it was used just once before, it should be fine to use again. Frequent use of Praziquantel becomes ineffective.
Thank you for the wealth of information! I heard mixed opinions in various places regarding the effectiveness of prazi for black spot. Something about the species of turbellarians. The last time I used prazi was 5 years ago, so I am just going to give that a try first.

Regarding my hospital tank that I still want to get set up, I only have 2 “large” fish - a blue tang and a foxface rabbit (both are “teenagers”, not full size quite yet, but maybe about 75% there). The rest are relatively small - lyre tail anthia, clownfish pair, cleaner wrasse, blue chromis, filefish, diamond goby, mandarin. I don’t anticipate adding anything else, except maybe some more chromis, but they never seem to get along…

I do have space on my side. My sump plumbed down to the unfinished area of my basement, and I could probably fit a 50-75 gallon tank down there. I would obviously never put either the tang or foxface in a tank that small permanently, but would they be OK for short term treatment if needed? Can I go any smaller than that?

Thank you for the wealth of information! I heard mixed opinions in various places regarding the effectiveness of prazi for black spot. Something about the species of turbellarians. The last time I used prazi was 5 years ago, so I am just going to give that a try first.

Regarding my hospital tank that I still want to get set up, I only have 2 “large” fish - a blue tang and a foxface rabbit (both are “teenagers”, not full size quite yet, but maybe about 75% there). The rest are relatively small - lyre tail anthia, clownfish pair, cleaner wrasse, blue chromis, filefish, diamond goby, mandarin. I don’t anticipate adding anything else, except maybe some more chromis, but they never seem to get along…

I do have space on my side. My sump plumbed down to the unfinished area of my basement, and I could probably fit a 50-75 gallon tank down there. I would obviously never put either the tang or foxface in a tank that small permanently, but would they be OK for short term treatment if needed? Can I go any smaller than that?
The tank range you mentioned would be okay. However, those tanks come in different dimensions. A longish tank would be best, of about that gallonage.

Regarding the types of worms associated with Black Ich. . .There are two turbellarian flatworms commonly infecting ornamental marine fish: Paravortex sp. and Piscinquilinus sp. PraziPro will cure fish of either/both of these worms.

Add no matter of what only air sponge bubble filtration - not any pump to circulate water through any filtration material.
Completely bare bottom and sometimes its better to put separator if you have 2 fishes in smaller Qarantine tank
dont worry they will stay short time there same as in some shops when they have very small space for showup.
Small heater will do job.

For Qarantine its better to buy acrylic middle size children aquarium and not glass glued one as silicon and gaps around can get so many bacteria
parasites and medication on it and difficult to clean after any use. do not use any lamp keep them in normal daylight even shade...

If fish eat this need to be done before any treatment. The issue is when fish refuse to eat at all...Put some tube that fish can hide from stressfull changings. Change water 10% to avoid ammonia... rest coleagues written well about medication.

THe most important is cycilng the qarantine properly before add any fish. Once huge anemone taken my Zanclus Cornutus by night and
create a mess...qarantine helped to throw out fish in few hours. Anemone stay in qarantine few days... :) Price of fish was in 1997 450 US$.
Everyone need to have proper qarantine tank - I made this mistake in the begining of my first marine tank. Lost lot of animals...

Back