Quarantine Port Setting Questions

yongyong

One blue tang was sick, so I urgently set up a quarantine fishing port.

It was set in the living box using water from the existing tank, filter material, and side filter.

However, ammonia is detected in the set isolation tank.
I want to know what I did wrong.

+ The existing tank has zero ammonia
There is one side filter, one filter net, a bubbler, and a heater in the living box.

One blue tang was sick, so I urgently set up a quarantine fishing port.

It was set in the living box using water from the existing tank, filter material, and side filter.

However, ammonia is detected in the set isolation tank.
I want to know what I did wrong.

+ The existing tank has zero ammonia
There is one side filter, one filter net, a bubbler, and a heater in the living box.
I'm unclear what you mean when you write "fishing port," and "living box." If this means "quarantine tank" (QT) then the spike in ammonia is most likely caused by there not being enough nitrifying bacteria (the good bacteria) in the QT. Filter media from the main display tank (DT) would likely contain some of these bacteria, but the DT has this bacteria all over the surface areas and even some wet areas below the 'surface' (i.e., in the substrate) area. Bacteria are located: on the sidewalls of the DT, the rock, the substrate, any and all internal decorations and even equipment (like a heater) in contact with the DT water.

To start a new QT up, it is often best to seed the QT with bacteria. You can buy and add bacteria offered by a variety of makers. Not sure where you are located and what kind of aquarium items you have available. But, after seeding the new QT, it is usually ready to use in a day or less. If used properly, the bacteria addition product should process the ammonia and nitrites very quickly.

Back