Help! Tang & Trigger got in fight over same cave??

KarenLR75

We introduced both fish (White Tail Bristletooth tang & Blue Throat Trigger) to tank at same time a few weeks ago. Tang is about 4.5" long and trigger is about 3".

The only aggression we've seen (I work remotely so I'm next to tank constantly) is at feeding time, the tang plays some passive aggressive games with the trigger usually centered around competing for pecking at pellets.

The tang pins trigger in his cave & bumps him. We spread pellets over bigger area & also put them in when they are at different sides of tank. Also, past few days we just fed mysis. Saw reduction in feeding aggression and whenever they aren't feeding they swim by each other/next to each other with no signs of aggression.

Flash forward to past few days & we notice tang SEEMS to be trying to takeover trigger's cave. Unsure why tang wants it when there's more 'hiding space' in back of rocks, but tang can BARELY turn around in cave. At 1st I thought tang kept trying to get in there to peck remaining algae as our algae has been drastically reduced.

Noticed a mark on the trigger that looks like someone bit at his side yesterday & today the tang's eye looks...filmy/roughed up? 1st thought is they have been in a fight. 2nd thought was wondering if tang has an illness/parasite, etc. We cannot deny though that the trigger sure seems to have been in a fight with someone and as he's 2nd biggest fish in tank, my guess is going to be with the tang??

I'll post pics of both. We'll be adding some more caves to rock structure soon. We have 20 gallon tank we bought for QT that we can setup although I'm not sure who needs to be QT'd...and after reading HUGE thread on ICH...I'm unclear as to whether it is more stressful to a fish to be in QT & when risks are outweighed by benefits.

Any input on the tang's pic in particular is appreciated. Unsure if we're dealing with battle wounds or an infection/parasite.

Help is GREATLY appreciated!

Tank is 112 gallons, mixed reef with 30 gallon refugium. Lots of space for everyone but looks like 2 are wanting the SAME space. Other inhabitants: 2 mated percula clowns, 1 mandarin, 1 melanurus wrasse, 1 Randoll's Goby & his pistol shrimp, 3 dart fish, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 red shrimp. Elegance coral, montipora coral, red goniopora frag, Scolymia brain coral.

Last edited:
Back