HELP! too many zoas!

fishmanstan

Hi
I have a species of zoas that won't stop growing and they have taken over the rockwork I want for other corals. Is there a way to kill them? There are far too many to frag.

I just pick them from the rocks with tweezers. If there's any tissue left, you could just smother the remainder with epoxy. GL.

Pics of the zoas you're talking about, please.
Be very careful removing them from the rock or doing anything to kill them!!!
Search for palytoxin.

Grandis

I would never pull apart zoas in the tank except very mimimally. It can release toxins that can kill fish or harm other corals. In the future, take the zoas out of the tank cut as needed with scalpal or hobbie knife and chisel or cut it into frags and sell or trade... Bring to lfs for credit. U have any picks if u have any left? YES! use protection!

Last edited:
I agree in removing from the tank to cut them for our safety, specially!
Sometimes it's just impossible though.
I've never had any fish dead because of that.
I don't think I've never heard about fishes and/or corals harmed because of Palytoxin, mucus or other toxins in the water either.
I've heard about chemical welfare related to sweeping tentacles (stinging cells). Also overgrowth could happen with zoanthids and some corals, of course.
Am I wrong?

Grandis.

Last edited:
Im eternally fighting those crappy button polyps and those crappy white protopalathoas...they suck once they get a foothold

I agree in removing from the tank to cut them for our safety, specially!
Sometimes it's just impossible though.
I've never had any fish dead because of that.
I don't think I've never heard about fishes and/or corals harmed because of Palytoxin, mucus or other toxins in the water either.
I've heard about chemical warfare related to sweeping tentacles (stinging cells). Also overgrowth could happen with zoanthids and some corals, of course.
Am I wrong?

Grandis.

Just to add here:
I was talking about the toxins release by pulling apart the zoas in the tank.

Of course that with the chemical warfare, besides the stinging cells, there is also allopathic toxicity, specially in small tanks. But nothing to do with the removal of polyps from rocks.

Grandis.

Back