Help with setting up QT tank

UncleSalt

I am trying to set up an emergency QT tank. I have read that you don't want to use clean water, because you need some sort of filtration. The QT tank will be a 29 tall. The 80G display tank is coming down completely, and I only need to house 2 clown fish in this QT tank. The clownfish do not show ich at all, but my anthias, flame angel, and yellow tang are all covered in it. but something has been introduced into my system that is killing every fish 1 by 1.

The question I have, is that I have read that you don't want to put DT water in a QT tank because you may transfer the disease, but my sump doesn't run anything other than a skimmer/sock/chaeto - so what do I put into the QT to help with the water? Furthermore, when I treat with cupramine, wouldn't that kill any and all bacteria on the media?

It is best to use freshly mixed saltwater when starting a QT, but if you are going to use copper anyway then it really doesn't matter if you infected DT water or new water.

Even when using Cupramine there will be plenty of beneficial bacteria that remains to help the tank along. You can either get the bacteria from your DT (seeded sponge, etc) or buy some bacteria-in-a-bottle product. I'd personally go with the product over seeded sponge from an infected tank, but again doesn't really matter if you are about to add copper anyway.

If your DT has Ich then your sump has Ich... your entire tank has it, along with any fish that aren't showing signs [yet]. so you will want to treat all your fish. And leave your DT fallow for 12 weeks to allow the existing Ich to die off.

Back