• Yes.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Absolutely not. Never again.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

WillM

I got rid of all my hermit crabs several months ago due to them knocking over my frags. How many of you all have hermits in a mixed reef tank?

I seem to be in the minority, but I love having them. They keep the nooks and crannies clean. I've got a orange leg hermit in my small tank that's bigger than a golf ball. He's hell on small frags and snails but he keeps that tank damn clean!

Thanks Brian,

I'm on the fence about whether to add them back in. I saw a guy's tank yesterday and even with minimal flow his tank is immaculate. He has seen my set up and recommended blue leg hermits to keep the rockwork clean. I'm down to one big snail as my clean up crew in my 75G. That's it. Got tired of flipping the turbos over when they would fall on their backs where I couldn't reach them. Then I rounded up all the hermits and put them in my 33G after one of them knocked an expensive frag into a favia and killed it. Now, I'm reconsidering.

Thanks,
will

I'm absolutely against them. My clean up crew consists of blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and black footed or red banded trochus snails. They can flip themselves back over.

Thanks Eugene,

Good info on the types of snails you have. I'll have to look for them in the local stores.

Why are you against them? Similar experience with them knocking over frags or something else?

Will

Last edited:
I have hermits but they can be a problem like you said knocking things around, but I have fish that do that as well. smaller hermits are not as bad and get into tiny spaces. Scarlett reef hermits have been my favorites if you can find them at a good price, good luck with that.

I have not bought scarlets in probably 3 years but still have some in the tanks. the reefs 2 go blue legs are usually really small and when they have them on sale really cheap.

Thanks Jorge! I didn't realize you had hermits. Probably because I was too busy drooling over the fish and coral, haha....

Thanks Java, you're the 2nd person who has recommended the blue leg hermits.

I just ordered my cuc from reefcleaners.org. It should be here on saturday. They have scarlet hermit crabs for 2.00 a piece and shipping is a flat 28$ for express shipping.

I just ordered my cuc from reefcleaners.org. It should be here on saturday. They have scarlet hermit crabs for 2.00 a piece and shipping is a flat 28$ for express shipping.

Nice. I have heard they have good prices and products. Plus you get what you want instead of playing roulette at an LFS. I've never been able to get a straight answer about what kind of crabs/snails they are stocking. And I've heard they design the clean up crew based on your tank's specifics. Let us know how it works out :)

I've made 3 orders from reefcleaners so far; one of dry rock and 2 of snails/crabs/chaeto. They are great! You get A LOT more than what you order and you get them quickly. I am very impressed with their service.

Hate 'em. Some seem to develop a taste for fresh snail meat, next thing you know you have no snails left. I got tired of replacing my snails so instead I rid myself of the crabs.

Back