Hex magic water...

It's not saltwater that the goldfish are acclimated to, nor is it really fresh. I'm not a fan of this junk. Came across this a while ago.

Although this stuff is magic and no smart magician ever tells. I don't think the water is brakish or even salty. So even if its not salt who is being deceived the fish or the fishkeeper. At any rate its not natural so right away I'm out.

G- you've acclimated (FW) Mollies to full strength seawater before, right?

Yes I have. Remember the days we used to cycle reef tanks with molies. Most of the time the way back to fresh is much harder on them. One time I did a study on the leopard puffers. Had three of them in three ten gallon tanks, one salt, fresh and brakish. All three did great, ate same food and looked th same. After three or four months I got sick of taking care of them and acclimated all three to the brakish ten gallon. They did just as fine in that.

Now this gex magic water is different. Gary think about it from product marketing point. How can you sell brakish.

I didn't really study the Gex "magic water". Did they acclimate the clowns to FW? I mean.... I've seen that done before, too.

Still nothing new here........ is there?

I see where you are coming from GM. This is a marketing idea coming out of Asia and will make people think they can go in and just purchase any fish and plop it into the water. Maybe it be a guppy or a trigger. People will be extatic to be able to mix the two with out really realizing the consequences. This is just another company looking to make a pretty penny. Mollies/Guppies can be acclimated but are found in brackish waters as well as some puffers. But have I seen clowns hanging out in the river behind my house? Seahorses maybe? No. The idea and scientific part is fascinating and I'm interested on reading up on it. These people are going to try to create a new marketing item and it's only going to boost the amount of fish taken out of salt/fresh bodies of water. I personally don't like this "magic water" idea. Giving it that name is a top marketing ploy. We'll see how far this thing goes.

As explained by Bob Fenner, mixes like Wonder Water and Marine Magic did work, although the temperaments of freshwater and marine fish were not compatible.
Instead of using salts, the companies used a mixture of sucrose. A few more aggressive fish like cichlids did ok, but most freshwater fish were no match for the marine fish. Invertebrates would not survive in it.

Back