Hi guys newbie here (:

HammerLover

Hi I'm 17 years old but I had 5 years of freshwater tank experience and I still have 1 running planted tank c:

I recently tried to do a reef tank in a 10 gallon because corals are more amazing than planted tanks. I pooled my allowance to buy corals and other necessary equipment to build my first marine reef tank.

My 10 gallon was a planted community before but I moved it to another 10 gallon tank. I bought this LED light for corals and they did cost me a lot. The light is 7w and is suited for a 10 gallon tank. The tank has a built in overhead filter which has 2 compartments. I filled the first with foam and some bioballs in the second. I've bought live rock with coralline algae already and I've used a sand I collected in our recent summer trip.

I cycled the tanks for around 1-2 months before adding a pair of clown fishes. A week ago I bought some Hammer corals (lots of them), Bubble Coral, Torch, Frogspawn and some Brain frags.

The corals were doing well now and are fully expanded.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of my tank since I don't have my crappy phone now c:

Welcome to Reef Central HammerLover! I too love all Euphyllia's and have several in my reef tank. I just got a very nice wall hammer, not a frag but the whole thing. I've had fragged wall Euphyllia's in the past and always end up dying. So this time I decided to get a whole one to see if it will last. All of the rest of my corals are branching accept for one gold torch that also was a full unfragged coral.

So be careful of the wall types as they have a habit of dying on you.

welcome to the plunge into reefing. I cant wait to see some pix! I started just like you from planted freshwater last year. Keep an eye on your calc, alk and mag levels with all the LPS in a small tank. Cheapest way that i know of to maintain that chemistry is by dosing 2part and the most expensive is through water changes. good luck!

Thanks ill post pics as soon as I have my phone back. My calcium is kinda low and my mag is kinda high when I last tested my water. Others seems fine. I've done some water changes (15% a week) and I feed my fishes twice a week. My corals will be fed around twice a month to avoid contamination.

Also started dosing calcium in very small amounts and will be increased gradually. I forgot the brand of the salt but its pretty expensive. And I've got recently a orange hammer coral its still not fully open though. And corals are pretty cheap here I bought a bubble coral for 50 pesos which is like $1

Most LPs are pretty cheap but Xenias are much more expensive around $6. Small frags of acros and other sps are around $10 to $20

Back