HOB filter killed fish or parasite?

Slammed01

Hi all! I'm starting to think that it was stagnant water in my HOB filter. What are the odds stagnant water/detritus was released when I pulled my dirty filter cartridge poisoned my fish and not snails?

I lost all my fish at the same time, I feel like a parasite would have effected fish 1 by 1 or noticed symptoms. goby jumped out, tang died and clowns I couldn't find (crab food).

Had a coral beauty 3 weeks prior and was healthy then after 2 days he developed white spots (not ich, maybe a slime can't remember honestly) around his eye and a bit on side and was swimming at top so I pulled him. Then I read angels can do that a can come and go.

Just don't want to leave a fallow tank if I don't have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, a disease killed your fish. There is no reason for it to take fish out 1 by 1, any disease is more likely to infect all fish, all at once.

No, a disease killed your fish. There is no reason for it to take fish out 1 by 1, any disease is more likely to infect all fish, all at once.

How so? They all died same day, a day after a water change which makes me believe a ammonia spike or something from my hob cartridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You brought a diseases like brooks or velvet with the angelfish. You already said angelfish had white spots and slime, those are signs of both diseases. Those diseases can show no symptoms and then kill all the fish in few days (sometimes overnight) after symptoms appear. Water change was just a coincidence.

An ammonia spike big enough to kill fish would have killed snails and crabs before. Plus detritus in your filter is already broken down by bacteria (its mostly bacterial biofilm). Releasing it wont cause an ammonia spike.

Back