Holding fish?

I'll transfer fish with gloved hands from acclimation bins to tank. Also when doing FW dips or medicated baths. It's a lot faster and you needn't worry about fish getting stuck in the net. Dwarf angels get their opercular spines stuck and many wrasses bite the net and won't let go. :lol:

+1 I built a nice size specimen box out of 1/4"clear acrylic, works fast and put very little stress on fish. IMO using a net is about the worst thing you can use.

Many cichlid traders take pictures of fish in their hands. It helps with giving scale (size) to the fish. It's not a bad practice as long as you know what you're doing... aka no bright flashes or flash at all.

I think a small acclimation box is best, but it's not going to be the rose thing ever either.

It's normal for fish veternarians and other types of professionals to hold fish. I once had someone excise a growth from a trigger and he handled it. Whether it's OK? - who's to say but folks with knowledge or opinion. Nonetheless it's done more often than you'd think. As a fisherman, I do it when putting them back in the water.

A gloved hand doesn't seem to illicit as much response as a net does. I transfer most of my fish by hand rather than net if possible.

Back