House covered in fireplace soot ($10,000 clean up). How screwed is my tank?

timbo227

I apparently hired a ****ing moron to inspect and clean my gas fireplace as soot was building up on the window. He did not seal it or take proper precautions and we had a major soot blowback incident. All three floors of our house is covered in a fine layer of creosote. My fiancé inhaled a **** load of it, and after a trip to emerge, and some steroids to open her lungs up, is starting to do a little better. We are in a hotel now as the $10,000 clean up will take 5-7 days. Luckily our insurance will cover most of it, and potentially all of it if they can recoup it from the heating/cooling company that caused this nightmare.

My reef tank was in the room that had the worst blowback. It is an 30 gallon biocube, and fan has to be on in order for the lights to be on, so I imagine it is just sucking in insane amount of particulates. Everything looks fine right now, and there are not industrial grade air scrubbers running in the house, but it had already been exposed for hours, and I am just waiting for my tank to crash. Is there anything I can do to prevent the creosote from poisoning my tank?

Purely a guess on my art, but it never hurts to run carbon.

This, and potentially a large water change, or even series of them - good luck!

Also, your aquarium should also be covered via the insurance, just in case the worst happens.

Your tank will likely be fine.. You are just testing out a new method of carbon dosing ;)
Let us know how it drops your nitrate/phosphate levels..

Wood ash would have been worse I believe. I'd agree most likely you're fine. It is mostly carbon.

Should be fine, and FYI the hood fans only cool the lights and electronics. They suck air in to blows across the lights, through the electronics, and out the front grille.

Back