How bout this plan?

Monster00101

I have a 180g that's a couple weeks away from being cycled. I plan on putting in a small cuc for a couple weeks before the first fish is added. The only fish going in will b a pbt and a clown trigger. I know pbt can b a finicky fish so I plan on adding it first and giving it a month before adding the clown. They will both b fairly young and I'm gonna get the clown smaller than the pbt. If anyone sees any problems with this plan feel free to say so. This is my first pbt and I want to b successful.

im sure you have already read that the clown can just go rogue randomly.

so IMO it will work for sometime but sooner or later you will end up with 1.

Depending on how big the clown trigger is when you buy it, you should have a couple years before it flips out. However, if the pbt is the fish you want to keep long term don't keep it with the ct. You WILL end up with just the ct one day. Also, please bear in mind I said "should have" not will have. Once the ct becomes an adult all bets are off.

Is there a certain size the ct freaks? I can keep trading him in if I want and if I can just keep one under a certain size then I think it could b done long term. I don't wanna have to trade in every couple months though. If it's only every year or so I think the effort would b worth it. Their amazing fish.

I've got one now that I've had 17 months. It was about 2" when I got it. It's between 5"-6" now. It has almost completed it's changing from juvenile to adult markings. So that's why I said above you "should have" a couple years depending on how big it is when you purchase it. It has two fish tankmates now. It's killed numerous snails, crabs and a brittle star that's arms stretched over 18" tip to tip. It's tankmates are a 3 stripe damsel and a pajama cardinal. So far they get along ok.

So basically It's a time bomb once the adult markings come in. I'm gonna just have to trade him in once a year to b safe. Still worth it I think I like them when they are young as well. When my place gets built I got a 300g being installed I will probably move the tang in there and just keep the trigger in his own tank.

When you finish the 300 you better be putting the trigger in there since it can get pretty big unless you have another big tank. This idea will work for a while but good luck to the tang if you don't upgrade because it most likely will become a target.

Also I am going to keep the ct young by trading him in until he has his own tank. Gonna b next summer before it's built. The only thing I'm really worried about is if the biocapacity of my tank will b strong enough to introduce the tang as the first fish.

I think keeping a clown trigger in a 180 after it hits the 12"-14" mark would be kinda cruel. Remember this fish will end up nearly 2' long. It will need some room just to turn around. Mine is currently in the 75. I'll be moving it to the 180 around the first of the year. I'll keep him there until he hits the 12" mark and then I'll put it in a 300. An 18" clown trigger in a 300 gallon tank with a bunch of damsels will make one hell of a display. IMHO.

Wow I didn't relize they get so big. Looks like I'll b keeping juvies lol. If I put him In the 300 with tanga and puffers won't they all b at risk?

Provide many hiding places, and the tang will survive for a long time. You can't kill what you can't catch.

Agreed. If a clown gets as aggressive as a 5" Titan I saw at a store, they better have lots of places to hide and not have the trigger reach them

There is lots of Places to hide in there. It's an elaborate maze of caves. Does it kill fast? Can I just keep him until he turns then take him out or does it kill fast?

Back