How can i feed my baby clam?

COBRA201

I have a two inch maxima clam and needs feeding. i only have micro-vert, phyto-plex and chroma-plex from kent marine. i am feeding every day now that i have him and i feed with a droper close to him not direct. however, will he get the enough feeding he needs this way? i am thinking to use a three liter bottle and cut it in half to put in top of him and then add the food from the top. will this work better? i dont want to get any more foods on till i finish all the one i have. i'll will get DT as soon as i finsh all the one i have.

You can use the bottle method or even take the clam out and bowl feed it. If you choose to bowl feed, leave it in there for 30 to 60 minutes and that should be fine.

I just did this yesterday for the first time to help an ailing 3" U. Max. It worked wonders, so far.
The top half of a clear, 1 lt. Pepsi bottle. with a mix of 90% DTs, 5% MicroVert, and 5% CoralVite vitamins. The mix settles, but the current caused by the clam eating moves it back into suspension
IMO, I should have been doing this from the start. I wouldn't want to remove my clam if I don't have to.

Oh yeah,
Cap the bottle and kill the current.
I also turn the skimmer off for a couple of hour too when I add particulate food like phyto and MV.

i think i will try that. i dont want to be taking my clam out ever day. i am too lazzy to do that.:D but i will only do with microvert cause i dont have DT yet and i have to go all the way to San Antonio just to get some. :mad:

2 liter bottle works fine I have been feeding my "2 max for 6 weeks like that and he's growing great :D

Take a look at the Feeding Trials link in the "Some Interesting Reading" thread at the top of this forum.
In it,Dr. Shimek strongly states that phytoplankton is the only useful clam food. He is clear on the fact that size, shape, and density is the all-important factor. Only phyto is accepted, all else rejected.
I actually just read these links, so I probably won't ever target feed the clam with MicroVert again. I now feel that magnet scraping the glass is also very important to release the phyto that grows on the glass.

Ok i did it but i think that my clam likes it. i did it and my clam began to sneezing alot. i dont think he like it, i think it was the micro-vert.:( I will try it with phyto-plex and chroma-plex now.:rolleyes:

I would think that putting the clam in a bowl for a half hour to feed would be bad. Doesn't the pH of the water in the bowl change dramatically? It doesn't sound like the clam would be very happy. Any thoughts on this?

Sloth said:
I would think that putting the clam in a bowl for a half hour to feed would be bad. Doesn't the pH of the water in the bowl change dramatically? It doesn't sound like the clam would be very happy. Any thoughts on this?
Use the tank water the clam came from for bowl feeding. The pH doesn't fluctuate much this way besides it's only for 30 minutes. ;)

Back