How do I move a 100 gallon tank 426 miles?

RicoJ

Well my job has decided to relocate me. Now I have a daunting task of moving a 100 gallon reef tank 426 miles.

Has anyone done this before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Rico.

air freight your animals and rock, you can dropship from airport to airport VERY reasonably provided they are packed appropriately.

If that is not an option, a power inverter and a couple of seios or airstones in the car will keep them happy provided temp doesnt drop or spike, you might even be able to run a heater.

Throw away the old sand, or rinse, bleach, and rinse again for reuse.

Your biggest concern is oxygen, second biggest concern is temp, If you keep both of these in order you shouldnt have any issues.

Dont feed your fish for 48 hours before the trip, this will help keep any ammonia spikes from occurring.

If water motion or aeration is not an option, make sure that the animals are in as little water as possible so the oxygen saturation s as good as possible.

Thats all I have off the top of my head, if you have any specific questions, fire away.

I would only attempt this with a tank set up and ready on the other end. Its just not worth it. If you have a prized coral, let a friend keep it and have it shipped when the new tank is cycled.

Kristen I think that you are right.

I am going to do some major downsizing, keeping only my favorite corals/frags and moving them over and selling everything else.

Rico.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7080256#post7080256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kirstenk
I would only attempt this with a tank set up and ready on the other end. Its just not worth it. If you have a prized coral, let a friend keep it and have it shipped when the new tank is cycled.

Make sure it is a "good" friend. I did that exact thing when I left Georgia to come here and I did not get most of my "prized" stuff shipped back to me. Kirsten's signature: "Reefer Stabs Reefer In Back Over Quarrel" Thats what happened to me.

Ed

After TONS of moves, I would also recommend only keeping what you REALLY are attached to, and can't replace. Good luck though finding a friend who can house The Bubble That Ate Manhattan. ;-)

Who was the gal who moved to New Mexico, real nice woman. She setup tanks ahead of time and still had lots of casualties.

Where ya headed?

Moonpower (Peg) moved to NM, she had some issues but I think her tank is doing ok now. Rico are you the one the bought Rich's huge bubble?? If so... WOW you are going have fun trying to move that sucker ;).

Ed

what about putting the whole thing in a uhaul and running everthing in the pumps and heaters and the hole thing you would just have to find a way to seal off the top or something so the water doesn't splash out just a thought

Yeah it was Peg. IIRC she had lots to do and didn't get the tank set back up right away and her stuff sat for several hours. Haven't heard from her in a while. I hope she's doing better.

Unfortunately that would only last about 15 minutes before a seam on the tank broke loose, if only it were that easy. Then again, they do make specialized tanks for hauling fish in, I think Aquatic Ecosystems sells them.

I'm afraid I'll have to deal with the same issue sometime within the next year. Please put some type of post up to let us know what you tried and how it went. Good luck!!!

I think it would make more sense to use a heavy duty rubbermaid container then using your tank to transport your livestock. At least then you can put a lid on it and not have to worry about fish jumping out or corals splashing out.

Put your fish and corals in bags of water, put your sand in a container -ice chest tape the top closed do the same with your rock. Place all items in your car with you so you can controll heating or air conditioning.

All the people that I have talked to about moving their tank long distance has had many deaths. I would just recommend keeping what you can't live with out. You the can pay more attention to just them. As for sand and live rock, just use an ice chest and tape the top. The micro-organizems will repopulate with time.

Back