Can I lop a toadstool?

Eug40

I let my tertiary tank used as a potential qt get into a bit of disrepair. I have one lone toadstool in there and I noticed that vermatids/bubble algae (the thin sharp needle types) have completely covered the rock and have grown on the base of the toadstool. The pictures may be a bit hard to see but there are a bunch of vermatids on the base of the toadstool. I would like to relocate the coral and restore the tank and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Toadstool propagation. Can I simply lop the bottom couple of inches that are effected areas? if so, how and post surgery advice? Thanks in advance!
1705775675484.jpeg

1705775706513.jpeg

It’s been a bajillion years since I’ve kept or fragged one of those. But, if memory serves, as long as water conditions are good just cut with a sharp razor blade, relocate and secure with rubber bands or toothpicks and you should be good. The base will likely regrow as well😉

Last edited:
Like griss said, it’s going to slime up pretty good, so don’t bother trying to glue it. It may take a few days or a week to reattach to rock/substrate

It’s been a bajillion years since I’ve kept or fragged one of those. But, if memory serves, as long as water conditions are good just cut with a sharp razor blade, relocate and secure with rubber bands or toothpicks and you should be good. The base will likely regrow as well😉
Like griss said, it’s going to slime up pretty good, so don’t bother trying to glue it. It may take a few days or a week to reattach to rock/substrate
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just snip it above the effected area, dip and then stick it in my main tank til the bottom covers with rubble. Will the nub regenerate a new head?

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just snip it above the effected area, dip and then stick it in my main tank til the bottom covers with rubble. Will the nub regenerate a new head?
Assuming that it doesn’t get infected, it should grow a new head(s). Leathers are nearly indestructible. If you ripped the entire thing off of its rock, any healthy flesh left behind would become new corals.

…and btw, don’t cut it in the tank if you can help it. You’ll also want to run some carbon to remove the toxins it will release into your system.

Sorry to hear about your tank troubles. Toadstool propagation can be tricky, but you can try gently lopping off the affected areas with a sharp, sterile tool. Be sure to give the coral some time to recover in a stable environment afterward

Back