How do you do your water changes!?!?

Fish that die in the first week or two are almost always the result of stress. You need to do everything you can to minimize stress. The first few weeks it is critical that you pamper them.

You should not be quarantining. While quarantining has it's place it is exactly what you should not do right now. Quarantining your fish will only exaggerate your problems.

Quarantine a fish will just increases stress and therefore increases the chance it will die. If your goal is to maximize the chance the new fish will survive you are better off putting it in the tank where it will be happiest: A big tank with lots of live rock and excellent water quality. Exactly the opposite of most quarantine tanks (small, empty, and no/insufficient filtration)

The purpose of quarantining is to prevent the new fish from killing your old fish. Only when minimizing risk to your old fish is more important to you than minimizing risk to the new one you should quarantine new fish.

Also, do you know how long they had been at the LFS before you took them home. It's best to bring them home within a day or two from them arriving at the LFS. I like to be at the shop when they are opening the boxes and take home before the LFS ever opens the bag. Leaving the fish at the LFS has the same disadvantage of putting them in a quarantine tank. They are too small(what LFS has room to put every fish in it's own 6' tank), have few if any hiding places (because if they put places for the fish to hide, they will hide, so you cant seem them and they cant catch them), they are not fed enough (once a day is not enough for most fish), and usually do not have the best water quality.

Then you should feed the fish a ton for the first few weeks. Once a day is not enough. Feed them as much as they will eat 2 or 3 times a day. For tangs, there should be algae that he can much on between feedings.

Finally, The powder brown tang is notoriously difficult to keep. I would start out with a Zebrasoma sp. Like a yellow, sailfin or purple, they are much easier.

Last edited:
alright thanks a lot i reserved a big yellow tang from my LFS, but its been swimming in there 30 gallon for about 3 weeks now. When I usually buy from the LFS the fish are in those tanks for 1-2 weeks.

You like to play with fire don't you acroporas? After a fish gets shipped to LFS they are at the peak of being stressed out. At least a day or 2 in a bag riding around in a truck or a plane, thrown around by who knows what durring shipment. And you dont even know if they are carrying parasites or any other diseases. I am sorry but I have to disagree with your meathod. I would rather let a fish sit at a LFS and observe it for a few days preferably a week or so before I make the purchase. If it is a good store with a knowledgable staff then the fish will be in a good environment. I also like to see the fish eat before I buy it. Also if you have a proper quarantine setup with plenty of places for the fish to hide I don't see how this is a problem. My quarantine tanks are located in their own room and have plenty of plastic pieces of fake coral and rock for them to feel at home in. The room gets very little traffic so there is very little outside stress. A quarantine tank gives you the perfect oportunity to monitor the new fish and treat it if necessary before it can spread a disease to your main tank and cause you a lot of headaches.

I have to admit I'm in favor of a nice quarantine period also. I've had an 8in Blonde Naso in my 29 Gal quarantine for 60 days today. He'll be coming out this weekend.

While it's not the best environment for him, he has been fine.

When I bought him, he was in a tank at the LFS with several other fish that were showing signs of ich. You know, scratching on the rocks, labored breathing, etc, etc. I assumed he had it also, although he was not showing signs of it, and into the hyposalinity he went.

He never did show any signs of having ich, but IMO much better safe than sorry.

Some funny changes have occured in this fish over the last 60 days. At first, every time I approached the tank, he hid behind or in the stack of 4" PvC Pipe I have in there. Now he comes right out, and my wife was commenting last night that she think she could actually pet him.. he comes right to her fingertips.

When I first gave him pellet food, he was clueless. Now, those pellets are lucky to last seconds.

He's been in there with a nice flame angel, which I got at the same time. The two of them pretty much ignore each other, so it's been a very stress free environment for him.

This weekend, he'll be moving in with my slightly smaller sailfin and kole tang, so I expect there will be some jostling to determine who is going to run the show.

Experience has taught me that if I had put that fish (probably with ich) into my display with the sailfin and kole, that the stress would have allowed the ich to take hold. About a week later, probably half of my fish would be covered in little white spots.

Yup, I'll take the quarantine.

Quarantine is definitely the way to go. I wasn't doing it originally, and was asking for it. I purchased a percula clown and found out after having it in the tank for about a week that it had some sort of fungus or something. I immediately setup another tank and put it in to medicate, hoping that it didn't pass anything onto my other clown or corals/anemone. From now on new creatures will be QT'd for a period of time. Fortunately everything else was ok, but the sick clown has since died.

Back