how many and how much light for mangroves?

Philip

Premium Member
I'd like to order some mangroves from ebay. I have a 55g tank with 29g sump, how many should I order?
how much light do these guys need? is a 20w NO enough?

i think that it is about 1 mangrove per 10 gallons of water, for lighting most use about 40 watts NO, i however have a small tank (refuge) in the windowsill that gets a lot of light during the day and the mangroves are Flourishing.

That's same as what I've heard too, although I'm not too sure that they're good at taking up excess neutrients... I have mine near a window as well, but I would not think the lighting you mentioned is enough. JMHO
Brian

well i bought one and put it in and ever since no cyno alge, no phosphates either.
still 20ppm nitrate though so i have got another 15 of them, that nitrate is gowing down nicely.
now i am hell bent on getting rid of the green tinge that the rocks have on them.
i do have to turn my mangroves around every so offen though as they tend to grow towards the light.

i did have a link to a site that had results fron a test someone had done to document the nutrient uptake of mangroves, it doesnt seem to work though, here it is if it starts working in the near future.
http://www.athiel.com/www.athiel.com/lib10/mangrove7.rtf

Back