how much rock can i put in my tank

kdc527

hey everyone i just wondered how much live rock i can put into a tank at one time i really would like to put 65lbs in at once but a friend told me it would be to much for the bioload is he right? I also wanted to cure it in my display tank before i put anything in but heard thats not a good idea either Whyis this a bad idea??

when i first started i cured 90lbs of LR in my Main tank without any problems. The ony problem i would see if some die off falling off but just scrub the rock before you put it in the main tank and that should take care of it. JMO

and as far as the bioload if its a new tank it has to cylce anyway and the LR will help with the cycle. IF its a already established tank then i wouldnt cure it in your main tank. just cure it in a trash can with a heater and some sor of flow and do some water changes.

I cured 90 lbs. rock in my 55 gal. display no problem. Just make sure you've got the rock positioned so it gets good water flow around it and you should be fine. Save the aquascaping for after the rock is cured because you're probably going to want to move it around, anyway.

I have 400lbs curing in my 400 gal tank Just scrub it good first or your as good powerhead in a garbage can with some saltwater and blow everything off thats what i did & it was like new.

Thanks everyone I'm just getting ready to move my DIY stand into my apt. put some pics up when i figure out how to put them on here?

1-1.5 lbs. per gallon is the norm. It depends on how porous your rock is and if you're running a DSB. Either of those things will allow you to use less rock. Don't forget to add sump volume if you have one.

Back