How often to change activated carbon?

thebanker

In general, how often do you guys change activated carbon? Will rinsing it with fresh water do any good (ever)?

Of course, everyone uses a different system, be it a reactor or a canister, plus powdered vs. granular... so I'm sure the answers will vary. Just want to get an idea.

Banker if it is in a canister filter or sock of some kind remove and rinse 1/ wk and replace 1/ m . If it is in a reactor just 1 / m, no rinsing, unless you want to, as they are somewhat self cleaning.

I change once a month. Run it passively in the sump. Clean it every day by shaking the bag a few times to get any detritus off the carbon. I run a zeovit system.

i change it every 2-3 weeks... i knead it in the sump (it's in a filter bag) and shake it a bit...

when you guys rinse, do you rinse with tap? I've seen people use hot tap water/cold tap water... strictly RODI rinsing, as well as RODI soaking...

I have seagel, which is carbon/phosgard mix and I have noticed that when I only use small amounts each time, probably a cup/cup 1/2 each time I change it out it works so much better. I change it out every 2 weeks, and shake my reactor of detritus weekly. I just recently scraped my tank of coralline algae after about 2 months. I had no film algae on the glass and barely any algae growth on the glass mostly coralline. Its wonderful! :) I have absolutely no bryopsis in my tank, just a tiny bit in my overflow which doesnt grow much at all and If I brushed it off im sure it would not grow back.

I guess this kind of answers the question of the OP but I thought I would share.

I change mine every two weeks. I rinse it first in R/O water. I run the carbon in a filter bag in a empty canister filter that also houses some GFO. The canister filter runs in a closed loop off my sump.

How do you know that it can work for one month in a fluidized reactor? Say, versus two weeks. What are the determining factors for the one month mark?

I change mine when needed. Every now and then I take some aquarium water from the sump into a white 1 gallon bucket; if I can see a hint of yellow (or green) in the water, I change GAC.

Back