How rare is this?

Lewy

Carpet-resize.jpg~original

Carpet anemone in the wild. Not such a rare a site you might say.

[
Juv_BandW_Occ-rz.jpg~original

But this is a juvenile Black & White Ocellaris hosting in it. We found two the same size. So the parents were not too far away.

Last edited:
They are becoming much harder to find these days. But at least there are still wild ones to be found.

I could have taken them home. But I purchase the tank bred ones instead.

This is where all of the ones bred around the world originate from.

That is awesome Lewy, especially for someone like myself that is fascinated with AU clowns. Could you post more pics?

That. Is. Awesome. Thank you so much for posting! I made the picture of the clown in your hands my desktop background its really great!

Do you have any pics of the area near where you found it at?

We are going back out today so will take some more photos of the area we they are found.

If you notice in the photo there isn't much water around as it was low tide. We get tide ranges from minus to +7.9m, that is a huge amount of water movement through the area every 6 hours.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13936124#post13936124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flighty
That is a gigantea?

No idea. But we did collect two other anemones which were very strange looking.

I will take some photos and start a new thread for you guys to id for me.

Lewy

Just outta curiosity, isn't that anemone sticky?

Thanks...Very Jealous of your Hometown! Swim out to Lord Howe and send us some pictures while you are at it..:)

yes the anemone is sticky.

There are sand anemones in the area as well. The way we tell the difference is that the sand ones are slightly more stickier and the tentacles come off and stick to your fingers.

Back