how to catch mantis shrimp

do you know the rock he is in? If so you can take the rock out, some of them come flying out if you run fresh water in their hole. Now if cant take the rock out. I have caught 3 of them by just putting raw shrimp on a stick and they jump on it, you can then net them. let us know.

I just transferred mine to another tank. Is it a logical choice to be able to take the rock out? If so, just scoop him up in a net. If not, it will be more difficult. They have good eyesight and do not want to be caught. Try catching them while feeding. Not many great ideas, but it's not rocket science. Just don't use your hands or you might get hurt.

lol At this point I have no idea what rock he is. I was looking for him lastnight cause I was hearing the poping noise they make but I couldnt find him. I guess I will keep looking.
Thanks

actually its the opposite of what most people think. they are usually less active at night. If you have patience, put a piece of raw shrimp near the area you might think he is and wait. their sense of smell is unbelievable. Try that out. let us know what happens.

They have much better eyesight than humans. let him see you and get comfortable with you. If all you do is try to take him out, he'll know and probably pop you one good. Feed him, let him get cool. If you put a little feeder fish in there, he will go after it and many times swim off the rocks to get it. This would be a perfect time to get him, but they move super fast, so have the net ready. I feed mine freshwater feeders(I know, salt would be better, but) just to keep that natural instinct going. The feeders do not die for a while, so he has time to catch them before they start decomposing.

One time I had to take the rock he was in and split it in two with a hammer and screw driver. He just wouldnt come out and I was runnning hot water from teh sink into his hole. The mantis I have now is in my sump and I just took out the entire rock he lives in.

Sometimes you can tell if there is a pile of shells in a certain place...they often stash them outside their "lair" when they are done eating them. GL, Marcye

just adding my two cents - have you seen the mantis? - the popping noise might be a pistol shrimp - less damaging to other inhabitants but they love to move sand around and burrow.

Gatorolsen

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7548275#post7548275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gatorolsen
just adding my two cents - have you seen the mantis? - the popping noise might be a pistol shrimp - less damaging to other inhabitants but they love to move sand around and burrow.

Gatorolsen

...same thought crossed my mind, although I have never had a mantis (*knock on wood*)

No I havent seen him yet, I dont even know what a pistol shrimp looks like. I looked again lastnight for awhile. I found some other things I have been missing in the tank, but no mantis shrimp. Im going to try and bait him tonight when I have sometime.

Pistol shrimp usually have one really abnormally big claw. they will make a popping sound when they are frightened or under attack. My guess is if it is a hitchhiker, it is probably a mantis. Mantis shrimp will not be shy to get what they want. Do you have hermit crabs in there? If you do, they will decline in numbers routinely as the mantis breaks them open and eats them. If not, throw one in(I have one you can use if you need) and watch him closely. They like daytime, because of their phenominal eyesight, so do it during the day. If it is a mantis, you will most likely see him come get dinner. If not much is in there, a pistol will make the sound less often, as there is less to aggravate him.

I have plenty of hermits and snails in there. And there is on the right side of the tank a bunch of empty shells, so im going to pay some attention over there. I dont have any thing going on tonight so im going to spend sometime looking and tring to bait whatever it is. lol Thanks for all the help.

Are they empty or broken? A mantis will usually break the shell in at least two pieces to get to the meaty goodness that is hermit and snail

Back