How to clean 55g Drum?

Brent Thomann

Whats a good way to clean a blue food grade 55g drum that was filled with maple syrup at one point?

I already hosed it out really good, soaked with dish soap and water for a week and then set it out in the sun for a couple days and it still smells like syrup a little.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10681499#post10681499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by owenb01
Go to home depot or lowe's and rent a pressure washer.
I'll rent one and use mine so it will be double clean hopefully :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10681533#post10681533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brent Thomann
I'll rent one and use mine so it will be double clean hopefully :)

Ahhh....Wish I had one. Try some vinegar and water, or some Simple Green, just make sure to rinse everything EXTREMELY well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10681562#post10681562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by owenb01
Ahhh....Wish I had one. Try some vinegar and water, or some Simple Green, just make sure to rinse everything EXTREMELY well.

got it, thank bro

OK, I pressure washed the heck out of it and a day later it still smells a little like the maple syrup. think it will be OK?

or should I try pressure washing with some type of cleaning agent? what would be worse for a tank, maple syrup or cleaning agent?

i hate to be the bringer of bad news but i learned recently rodi water is a very good solvent and will absorb,thru different processes,chemicals,nutrients,ect from what ever it comes in contact with.also certain types of plastic will absorb the things that can effect the quality of your water.we try to achieve 0 tds with our filtritation systems then we keep the water in a container which raises the tds quite alot in some cases.imo i would buy a food grade rubber maid container and have peace of mind.

I am going to try one more time pressure washing with dish washer detergent. Then add some ro/di water with 0 tds reading and see if it goes up.

really hate to not end up using these two barrels, have two of them actually and they're in perfect condition, pretty sure they're maid by rubbermaid too as they look identical as my friends blue rubbermaid barrels, even have a scale built into the side of them with the amount of gallons.

Last edited:
Do your washer thing then---fill it to the top with tap water, allow it to come to room temp and put a gold fish it it for a week or two. R

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10693459#post10693459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
Do your washer thing then---fill it to the top with tap water, allow it to come to room temp and put a gold fish it it for a week or two. R

I borrowed my friends high powered pressure washer (4000 psi), put my swimming trunks on and pressured washed them again with dish washer detergent and then again with just plan water and now no smell of the maple syrup :)

I filled one of the barrows with "0" tds ro/di water and tested this morning and I am still getting "0" tds. Think I should be good to go or should I do the gold fish thing. I was thinking about just leaving the RO/DI water in it for a couple days and then dumping, starting fresh ready to use.

Back