How to add more sand to established tank

mirski57

Premium Member
My 32 gallon Biocube has been running for a couple years.
Sand, LR, 2 fish, 1 shrimp, some shrooms.
Over time and with cleanings, the substrate is getting VERY thin in some spots.

Prepacked CaribSea Aragonite was what I'm thinking, but I'm nervous it'll cause a cycle.
Maybe I need to use dry crushed coral sand ? like Playsand or something.

I'm already assuming I can only do maybe 2 cups a week ( I have plenty of patience ) I just don't know if it's safer to use dry sand, or if using the pre-package CarbiSea aragonite is better.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Prepacked CaribSea Aragonite was what I'm thinking, but I'm nervous it'll cause a cycle.

I'm already assuming I can only do maybe 2 cups a week ( I have plenty of patience ) I just don't know if it's safer to use dry sand, or if using the pre-package CarbiSea aragonite is better.

I honestly don't think it matters to your cycle or really how fast you add it. Just choose the sand you like and do it. If you want to be cautious do the 2 cups a week thing, just know you'll be clouding up the water every time instead of once.

I’ve done it before with a 1” hose segment cut to the depth of the tank, and attached a large funnel to the hose…works well with minimal clouding, but you’ll still experience the milky effect.

…and don’t use play sand…too much silicates. If you use dry aragonite of some sort, you’ll want to rinse it very, very well.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I appreciate it.
We you say it'll get cloudly and milky.... does that last for a couple of days ? or is that just overnight while everything settles.

Thanks again,
Bill

What triggers a new cycle is adding new livestock. You can add as much inert matter as you want with no problems. Washing it really well will virtually eliminate cloudiness, and yes it goes away quickly.

Depending on how well you rinsed the new sand, depends on how quickly it clears. 24 hours for well rinsed for the most part to a few days for unrinsed.

Back